Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On NGC CAC Crossovers To PCGS

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have several CAC approved NGC graded coins that I'm looking to crossover to PCGS.

With the green beans do you guys think that PCGS will be willing to cross them at the same grades?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see why they wouldn't cross. I also don't see why you would want to cross them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple are in old scrapped up NGC fattie holders. Those need to be crossed especially the 48sld. The coin is too beautiful to be in a holder that has scuff marks. So I figure why not cross them all. I like PCGS holders better and it would also help if I ever flipped them.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually a lot of collectors like the fatty holders and NGC, in general, was more conservative back then. If you are going to submit to PCGS, you may actually have a better chance at a grade improvement if you submit them raw, so something to consider.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5712 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For one I prefer NGC's holders. Something about the white background does it for me.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's try to keep it on topic fellas.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9213 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see some pics.

PCGS is strict on crossovers "at grade" because they have to view the coin in its holder (rims hidden on fatties).

There are great scratch removers on the market that are cheap if you'd consider that route.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
7717 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BLUF: Go for it! But I would send it/them in the holder that they presently...just in case they don't cross and they will remain in their present holders.

I had a 1892 50C MS61 NGC crossover to PCGS, and it came back MS62...then it Green Beaned afterwards. I still wonder if it would have Gold Beaned in the NGC holder? Some may ask, why cross a MS61 coin? It must have been a dog! I wanted this Barber Half to get graded down to AU58 for my Everyman Collection.

( NGC images from the seller)

( PCGS TrueView images)

Most of the time I have NGC crossover to PCGS it is normally a grade down at least. BUT...you have a couple good things going for you...old, no line fatty NGC holder and of course it has been Green Beaned in such holder. Go for it! Let's see some your images before you send 'em in though!

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With the green beans do you guys think that PCGS will be willing to cross them at the same grades?

They should have a good chance but it's not automatic. Like BH mentioned having to view it through an slab makes them hesitant if they aren't sure. Make sure the slabs don't have a lot of scuffs ect

A lot will depend what it is as some may have been tried before

Quote:
NGC, in general, was more conservative back then

That's a myth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your replies!

The basic question is:
Do CAC approved coins graded by NGC, have a higher likelihood of crossing to PCGS at the same grade.

If we can keep the discussion within those parameters that would be ideal. I'll post pics if needed but you guys have already seen them on multiple threads. Edit: with the exception of one I think.

Edited by MikeF
01/08/2019 6:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do CAC approved coins graded by NGC, have a higher likelihood of crossing to PCGS at the same grade.

Compared to normal NGC coins yes, does it mean they all will no
Edited by basebal21
01/08/2019 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9213 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Here are several things to consider:

CAC stickers are disregarded by PCGS.
Many (most) NGC coins have never been to CAC.
In theory you have a solid for the grade coin because of the CAC sticker.
So you might have a better likelihood of crossover but most people would say crack and submit raw for the best odds.
Of course you know NGC will re-holder the pieces at grade and CAC will re-sticker. This is a sure thing.
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
01/08/2019 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the one I'm most concerned about crossing over. Currently graded au-58 with CAC but this holder is a mess.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9213 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Seated dollar looks good at AU58. Only thing that might hold it back would be the hidden rims and/or PCGS thinking there's too much friction on the obverse and calling it a 55. The rims look good to me though so I'd try it if I wasn't concerned about losing the $$ if it fails to cross.

Going back to NGC would net you a known result of course.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Going back to NGC would net you a known result of course.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT cracking any of these out. I'm submitting them in their holders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1850c $5 Gold liberty I posted in its own thread with the crazy color toning, just crossed from NGC to PCGS. But it downgraded from 55 to 53 as we suspected it might when crossing over. However this may be off topic as the coin did not sticker as an NGC55. But now I wonder if it has a shot in a PCGS 53 holder. I still suspect no because CAC does not usually like gold toned that intensely.

I would definately always want to cross from NGC to PCGS as I feel they are more fluid (and bring higher premiums) when selling and also NGC slabs are extremely tough to photograph especially how they scratch...., IMO.

I would think they will normally downgrade unless they are stickered. In theory the sticker should mean something about the quality of the coin.

View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Edited by Jon Brand
01/08/2019 8:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05