Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bird`s Foot 1918 Penny What Is The Price In Us

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
28 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pawcio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1344 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The same as in the UK about 3p for scrap.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Peter, you're being a tad generous there, I would have offered 2p.
I think there's a packet of aspirin somewhere in this desk, do you want to split it?
United Kingdom
28 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pawcio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - that was your free spin... next time you toss around insults, you will earn yourself a vacation from the forum. ***
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Faking what? We are simply two blokes who know about coins.
I apologise if our knowledge doesn't tally with the hopes you had for the coins you've acquired.
You should give the hobby a go sometime, it can be fun and there's always the chance you'll bump into some hilariously entertaining people along the way.
United Kingdom
28 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pawcio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I connect dots.Ones I found coronation bootle 1953 I tryed find any info on youtube(your employers)the first video they showed me was:Look coronation bottle 1953 is unbreakable and throw over the wall.That`s what you suggest I should do with my coins.You can not be valued member with 50 yo experience cause you waist time on me trying to convince me.This bootle is worth money,you would say it is worthless.All you adviced me is a lie,everything.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you should spend less time connecting imaginary dots and more time learning to construct a coherent sentence.
I, literally, have no idea what it is you are now going on about. You came on here seeking information about coins. When the information you were given, freely and in good faith, didn't fit with what you hoped to hear you became argumentative. I'm really sorry, but the coins you have shown us are nothing but scrap metal. Why would we lie? What would we gain from lying to you? All we wanted to do was help.
And, I must say, having studied numismatics since the late 1960s, I take exception to someone who clearly has zero knowledge of the subject telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Oh, and by the way, apart from being a suburb of Liverpool, what is a 'bootle'?
Thank you and goodnight.

Edited by Hogarth
01/10/2019 6:56 pm
United Kingdom
28 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pawcio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are example of liberal thinking you and your friend Peter Pan.Yo try to put the blame on me?First you tell me to throw my coins to bin or the value is 3p.People buy standard types for 30-40 just why u are liar like L in Elizabeth!
Valued Member
Australia
450 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(dont censor him, unless he actually swearing.)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree R, he's very entertaining.
I'm looking forward to seeing where his free form jazz approach to syntax next takes us.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
574 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  03:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pawcio: it is worth knowing what affects the financial value of a coin.

My own understanding is as follows. I have only been in this game a short while, so there are people out there who will know vastly more than me, but here is my tuppence worth...

Three basic questions.

1. What is the coin?

2. What condition is the coin in?

3. How much do people want the coin?

In more detail...

1. What is it? How many were made and how many still exist? What metal is it?

More than 84 million of your penny were made. In the coin collecting world it is common as mud. The metal it is made from is bronze, which has almost no value of itself in that small an amount, so 3p is a fair guess. There is nothing special about this coin to make it different to its 84,227,371 brothers and sisters.

2. In the UK coins are graded from uncirculated ( UNC ) as the top quality, through extremely fine ( EF , sometimes written XF ), very fine ( VF ), fine ( F ), then 'good' ( which is actually quite low quality ) downwards.

The coin yearbook 2019 lists this coin as 55 in UNC, which means if you have one in absolutely perfect condition, you might get around 40 to 80 on ebay, depending on how much somebody wants it. There is no price listed for coins in condition F ( a medium quality grade ), which means there is very little market for it.

Your coin has had a hard life and would not even grade as F.

3. Is there anything about this coin which makes it special? In your case:no. Long term serious collectors are not going to want this coin as there are much better examples out there. If I needed this coin to fill a gap in my collection while I waited for something better, I might pay 50p. Even then I would feel hard done by.

If you think you can get 30 to 40 for this coin, then by all means have a go, but be prepared for disappointment.
Edited by Anaximander
01/11/2019 04:21 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pawcio, Anaximander has generously taken the time to supply you with excellent advice and information. Accept it with good grace and thank him for his kindness. No one here is wanting to cheat you or lie to you. The coin does not have a bird's foot flaw, it is a very common date, and is in poor condition, so is of no value to collectors.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
167 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont take it to heart Pawcio people are only trying to help and sometimes that may be not what you want to hear.Although much better being honest rather than raising your hopes or telling you that you have something that isn't..That would of been telling lies.

Coins were minted in there millions in most dates so condition will be what determines the value.The scarce varieties are scarce due to them being slightly different if you know what to look for and some are rare ,selling for thousands.

The crows foot or whatever you want to call it is just a die clash IMO and proven by overlays of the reverse drapery which in every example match exactly even if some times slightly rotated ,for that reason it happens on numerous years including the BUN designs.The crows foot though does not really for that reason command a premium its more for collectors who have the normal ones and just want to add something slightly different to there collection.

Anyway have you got a picture of the 1933 penny you have ?.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"Anyway have you got a picture of the 1933 penny you have ?."

Now, now, Pete..
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1344 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impossible...1 is in the BM.I own the other 6.My grandfather got them in change from Ronnie Scotts club in the 50's.
I keep them in my damp shed with my Churchill crowns.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Peter, you've forgotten to include the eighth, that being the one you gave me and which I use to steady the wonky leg on our garden table out on the patio. Works a treat, so thanks again for the tip.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05