Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time US Silver Eagle Box Buyer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  8:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just ordered a box of 500 silver eagles, ask and was told the mint bands will be intact, ie, monster box unmolested. Is there a chance if I went through of finding any proofs? Or does they make sure all are removed at the mint before packaging? Any reason for me to molest the rolls or are they better off left alone?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
01/11/2019 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure that the proofs are minted separately from the bullion coins that go into monster boxes. Seems very unlikely that a proof would get in there by accident.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the rolls in those boxes are packed by hand, you have no chance of finding a proof in a monster box. Rolls are better off left alone unless you want to play with the ASEs
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9146 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  01:33 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't condone molestation in general.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverKeeper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting Silver Eagles since 86. I've never seen a proof in a monster box, And I bought lots of them. As to touching them, they are just bullion, so why not. I do go through each one and look for those perfect coins, air-tite them and play with the rest. (:
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do go through each one and look for those perfect coins,

Kinda figured there was no chance but had to ask. :-) Perfect coins, are you referring to brilliant un-circulated? If you can find those in a box, are they worth getting slabbed, or just put them in an airtight and press on with pride! I'm happy either way, like I said in another thread, these are just a hedge against losses in the stock market. At least these will always be good, unlike my pay... LOL
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverKeeper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, BU. Lots send them in for grading, hoping to get a 69 or 70. They can make a nice profit that way. I just look for the best ones out of habit and set them aside. I never sell. I still have the first silver dime I started my collection with back in 1963 when I was 9. (: But I basically just consider them bullion even though they are coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you even start to evaluate ASEs based on quality though? Every time I have ever bought a tube they all look identical and absolutely perfect to my naked eye. Do you use a loupe and cotton gloves?

I'd worry that any kind of dust or droplet landing on one of those during the sorting will make a toning mark or milk spot after a year or two and mess up the coin's chance at MS-70.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverKeeper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're asking me. I do have a coin microscope which is 60X(you can get much better). All I do is look for any bag or tube marks or any flaws, and if it has a nice look, that's all I care about. I'll air-tite it and put in a ASE size tube and stash it away with all the rest. Anything marked or just looks normal, is now just bullion. And I always use the gloves out of habit, until designated bullion by me. (:
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverKeeper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about your question ... and it seems you're interested in going the grading route. I've never sent anything in for grading, in fact I've been known to crack a few slabs once in awhile. Someone who does that for profit should chime in. They would know how to handle and send in the coins for grading. I would also suggest going to one of the grading sites, like NGC and see what they require.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11600 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd worry that any kind of dust or droplet landing on one of those during the sorting will make a toning mark or milk spot after a year or two and mess up the coin's chance at MS-70.

Milk spots happen no matter what you do if they're going to happen. By the time they've been made it's already to late to control milk spots.

Quote:
I do have a coin microscope which is 60X(you can get much better)

60X is WAYYYYYYYY to high for grading.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice hedge play, and very liquid investment. Leave it unopened for the next buyer, and security purposes of your own? If you want am MS-70 in plastic, just buy one, since they make millions of these you won't make bank by grading, (check out the grading costs, shipping, sellers fees, reshipping costs, etc.) the online coin sellers already have that game wrapped up because they get special deals from the TPG (third party graders) If you want some to finger just buy a couple or a 20 oz. tube.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the comments. Monster box would not fit in safe so I removed tubes and placed in safe. Did not open any, figure less chance of my marking any up. I just picked up a couple slab'd 70s so I leave the tubes unmolested for the time being. :-) Dealer has a couple unopened boxes of 2018s, wonder if I should pick one up? Or just buy a couple boxes of generic silver bars.... decisions decisions... LOL
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05