Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With My 1942 George VI Small Cent. Error. Grade And Value.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RRJ222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Vertical portion is missing on the E in EN and looks to be a mint error. I'm new to this so I'm not %100 pos. Also on the rim in front of Georges face there is 2 indents that line up. ? Any information will be great. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
722 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
judging from the age and wear on that coin, I think it is just PMD (post mint damage). maybe the E is a struck through error but I can't tell from the photos. even if it was, you wouldn't get much of a premium for it due to the condition.
and....
to the forum!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage on both accounts.
To be an error, it would have to happen during the striking
of the coin and I can't see how this would happen at that time.

Anyway to the CCF
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RRJ222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info and expeetise JimmyD and robmck1967. I'm very happy to have joined the forum! I will have a good look at it with a microscope. &
Valued Member
Canada
315 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think this is PMD. It looks like a filled die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1262 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the E on the die was partially clogged with debris of some sort. The middle part of the e also extends past the back of the e, would imply a die chip. Maybe they attempted to fill the chip? I don't know
Edited by Alan
01/22/2019 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was a struck through but then there is no sign of something
being struck through in the field. If it was a grease filled die, I think it would
also show in more than that area. This also posted in the Coins and Canada
Forum. Be interested to see what they have to say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7516 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is damage without doubt.
Not a die chip
A lump of displaced metal on the left of the vertical portion of the E .
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RRJ222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. It is odd, and a rarity, correct? Monetary value of any kind? Anyone care to give a shot at grading it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like PMD to me as well. From the photo quality, it's hard to tell grade .. F-12 maybe, who knows. No extra value for the "E".
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade it VG-8.
No extra value for damage.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05