Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I The Only One? (1996 $2)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another thread on a 1996 $2 coin had me wondering;

I was not very well off financially when the toonie was launched - but I think that this is the case with most 18/19 year olds.

I remember all the news stories about the first batch of toonies wit the loose centre section, and how throwing one on the ground could make the centre pop out.
I never came across one, and I seem to recall that the few that collectors were keeping them as-is with a loose centre were asking a mint for them... so I never got one.

I am wondering, how many here still have a legit error 1996 toonie - not one that someone modified to pop out the centre.

Time may have skewed my memory, but I seem to recall that much like an old 'Iron Cross' (old German war medal), you could shake one, and hear the centre rattling around.

This coin is still on my radar as a "wanted" item, but just like many of the latter penny variants, vendors never seem have them.
My "want" list is HERE
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you mentioned there are ways to pop the insert out manually, there is no market for a toonie ring or insert, partly the main reason why no dealers care to stock any. Not sure why you would one ? these will be PMD except for the severely off struck inserts that can fall out but they are very obvious
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John;

Do you not recall the issues with the first run?

Your post seems to suggest you are unaware of it - and that this is only a PMD issue.
My "want" list is HERE
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1703 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember hearing news story that people were putting them in the freezer and then removing the core, but I never heard of the core rattling.
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
iirc some were quite loose...
others were more in spec with where they were supposed to be...
My "want" list is HERE
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are examples of severe off struck inserts that are greater than a half moon, I believe a member here Zonad posted a pic a few years ago probably the largest one I've seen that still has the insert attached to the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1579 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i remember that story then I remembered that when I heard it I tried removing the center , I dont remeber how I popped out but itdid come out easy, a few years later I sold the core on ebay (because people will buy anything on eba)y for US $7
i still have the ring, maybe I will sell that too lol

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Valued Member
Canada
144 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At a Mint event last week a Mint employee was discussing the toonie and indicated it should take 150 lbs of pressure to pop the core out of the ring
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tlutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was too young to remember these come out but I do remember hearing that the centers of the first twoonies were easy to pop out. I dont think they had the technique of making the twoonie perfected like they do now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
699 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some of the issues with the first toonies were because they were from Germany and were 2 separate pieces that came together in the striking chamber. the striking pressure was what held it all together. the RCM toonies were already assembled when they entered the striking chamber thus eliminating the loose core issues.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4185 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The German planchets are one piece and the RCM versions are two piece
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
regarding Gidjit's "donut";
You can clearly see where damage occurred from punching out the centre.
My "want" list is HERE
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
699 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my bad for getting it wrong as stated by John100.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05