Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Large Cent - Haxby Attribution Help Wanted!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8074 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  10:22 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can usually figure these out from the website but this one is being difficult, or perhaps I'm just blind.

What I see:

Obverse - recut G in GRATIA, possibly also on the R; no visible die cracks; bottom section of obverse shows die wear.

Reverse - Cracks at leaf 2 and leaf 14; 1,8, and 9 in date may be repunched; loop across from 9 is broken (two bead gap); loop across from C is broken (two bead gap); leaf 10 stem is missing entirely. Planchet or lamination flaw.

My best guess so far is 83/P21 (PC59-831) but I can't see the N in CANADA well enough in these photos to determine, and reverse P21 shows a crack to leaf 7 in stage 5 which is not present on this coin so I doubt this is correct!

Doing the best I can with seller photos; thoughts appreciated!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't read the rest of your post before I started looking, but I came up with PC59-831 as well. I agree that it's odd that the crack in Leaf 7 isn't there, but I'm not sure what else it could be
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are correct with the PC59-831(83+P21) attribution. I believe I can see the obverse die crack just to the left of the D of DEI when I enlarge your photo.

Your reverse is an intermediate die state not listed in the Haxby Catalog. State 4 shows only the die crack at leaf 2, while state 5 adds the die cracks at leaves 7 and 14.

Your coin shows that the die crack at leaf 14 appeared before the one at leaf 7. Your reverse would be die state 4.5 with cracks at only leaves 2 and 14.

I'm sure there will be more intermediate die states that will be added to the catalog in the future. This will be one of them. Thanks for sharing it paralyse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8074 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  01:41 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're both welcome, thanks for the info! I thought about the possibility of an "in-between" state but wasn't sure.

I'll take microscope photos of the leaf 7 area when I get the coin.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if there turns out to be a fine die crack at leaf 7 that just doesn't show up in the seller's photo.

It will be interesting to see what you find there when you get the coin in hand.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8074 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it in-hand. Die crack at leaf 7 is not visible to the naked eye, and faintly visible under 10x. Coin is actually better than seller's photos made it look, and the other die features (repunching) are visible in hand that were not visible in his photos. The repunching on the GR in GRATIA is quite prominent and striking.

I also discovered that the reverse is rotated about 15 degrees CCW from coin turn orientation. Obverse die shows obvious signs of deterioration, notably the lower half. Planchet has some woodgrain striations, along with the reverse lamination flaw.

All in all not bad for $6 US. I graded it Fine and added it to one of the spare rows in my Uni-Safe which I had to add for my growing collection of 1859s. Now if I can just find a nice DP9 in the wild...

Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks good to me definitely worth having in the collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The GR on obverse 83 is one of the boldest re-punches in all of the 1859's.

Quote:
I also discovered that the reverse is rotated about 15 degrees CCW from coin turn orientation.

Are you saying it is almost coin orientation? That would be a lot of rotation as they are normally medal orientation.

Happy hunting on the DP 9's! I'm sure there are still some out there to be found.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks better than fine to me .. maybe more then VF-20
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8074 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil310, you are correct, it's medal orientation.

Looks something like this:

Also, thanks, Okie, for the grading info. I had it somewhere between F-VF but not sure how much was die wear and how much was circulation wear.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05