Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI I'm Dan Trying To Get Some Info On 1985 Canadian Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  1:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ddk37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a 1985 Canadian nickel I found recently. I have 0 experience in coin roll hunting which is something I recently started due to the weather here in Wisconsin. Myself and my phone listed experience believe this nickel is struck over a different coin. I posted some photos(not these) on another forum and was told I'm seeing things wondering if that is the general consensus. What I see-below the queen I see what appears do be a date-in the at the base of queen I see what appears to be the lines from a previous bust-on the neck I see an I on the left and a stretched E or F followed by other unidentifiable letters on the right-I see outline lines that I believe to be a previous bust. Reverse-i see a curved line off the bottom of A and continuing to rim- I see what I believe to be letters stamped over between the words Canada and the date. I understand the coin is damaged and perhaps I'm just seeing things but at the same time these elements seem slightly raised so I don't know how it could be damaged.

Edited by Ddk37
02/08/2019 1:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4539 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.. what you are seeing is PMD, it has seen better days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8683 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ddk37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am just confused as to how PMD is raised elements and when you look at coin with the naked eye it just looks like a very shiny nickel. I had adjusted hue and contrast to highlight what I am seeing.
Learn More...
United States
73334 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I see are digs and gouges that are recessed and PMD. The only thing raised I see is displaced metal from the external damage. Your coin is just a copper nickel 5 cent piece worth 5 cents Cdn or 3.5 cents US.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your has just been damaged.
It is only an error if it happens during the actual striking
of the coin. Anything that happens after that, no matter how,
is considered damage or PMD
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Valued Member
Canada
315 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From those photos I am just seeing PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1531 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welcome dan. here is a link. you may find some useful information here.
http://coinsandcanada.com/coins-pri...5-cents-1962
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1531 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dan I see what you are talking about. you are correct another coin layed on yours and was struck by something. dan when your taking pictures with nickle coins. use flat black or flat yellow. also copper is excellent with flat yellow. here is a photo no edithing.please I mean no disrepect. the better the photos the easyier it is to identify errors
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05