Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Coin Cleaner, Yea/Nay?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My local dealer sells a product called e-z-zest. They say you can clean a coin with this and it does not hurt it. I have used it to clean a couple coins from my silver stack, I made sure that's all they were worth, melt. Is this an acceptable cleaner, or does it ruin coin value? They told me you can't tell if a coin has been cleaned with this and does not affect values. I used it on a coin recently that had strange toning, the morgan with grill marks on the back, I won't go as far as calling it a miracle worker, but it sure made one heck of a difference on it. It also went into my silver stack.

What say ya'll? Any experience, good/bad, or should it only be used on stacker coins/rounds?
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If all you have is a coin that's worth melt and you want to clean it then a nice scrub with Sodium BiCarbonate (Baking Soda) is excellent. It is abrasive but should make it a nice and shiny piece of silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1322 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you're going to dip one,I think e-z-zest is the best....I do this= 5 seconds,,no rubbing,,water rinse real good,,pat dry....the purists are running!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9084 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used EZ Zest before and it does work if done properly. You do not want to leave a coin in this stuff too long or it will strip the mint lustre from the surface and leave you with a dull "over-dipped" look.
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30473 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you use it,dip it as quickly as possible and rinse as quickly as possible. I also dilute it with distilled water to weaken the strength. Practice on junk coins for awhile.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2595 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
practice makes perfect..why do you think there are so many blast white 70+ year old coins in holders.. They were dipped in the day, and that was acceptable then.. also be careful when dipping some coins, as it will be so obvious, that the coin will get a details grade.. Light even toning, is the best bet to dip. If you have splotchy toning, or wear spots in the toning, it will reveal worse, than had you not dipped..
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that's where the blast white comes from? I dipped them for less than 5 seconds. Then rinse in soapy water, then rinse under running water. I would not do this for a coin that was not in or going to my silver stack. I was just curious as the coin dealer tells me it's ok to use this stuff on coins. Kinda figured coins of value would not be a good idea.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2436 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eZest is an acid dip that removes toning. It removes a fine layer of metal each time the coin is dipped. If you dipped some silver dollars, there will be fine specs of silver noticeable in the blue liquid. Coins below a high AU grade should not be dipped in eZest as the coin will look dipped/cleaned. Keep the circulated coins out of the dip. eZest can do wonders for an uncirculated Morgan that has ugly toning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18747 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know why so many just have to try to clean coins. And so many products on the market to help them too.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
eZest can do wonders for an uncirculated Morgan that has ugly toning.

And with that comment, I say dip every coin that has toning. I dislike toning very much, but to each his own. The one I dipped, went from fugly artificial tone to nice coin in a matter of seconds. It still went into my melt bag.
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, this coin is now in a melt bag. First set of pics are non-cleaned with horrible toning. Second set after quick dip in e-z-est. It removed the toning but you can still barely see the grill marks on the reverse. Again, I would not do this to a coin that had any collect-ability. Yes, I do get the consensus of *do not clean*.

1st:

2nd, cleaned:

Edited by NDBirdman
02/12/2019 11:29 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, now as a teaching tool, tell/show me how you can tell this coin was cleaned. Could this coin pass as non-cleaned as the dealer told me it would, or is it forever in a melt bag? Does this now ban me from the collecting realm as I cleaned a coin? Remember, teaching tool.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can tell it has been cleaned because it now has a flat "dead" look to it.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you mean. I was expecting to see pitting or something. It's not totally dead, it's worth melt price so it's still a win for me. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16118 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If any silver coin is melt value only, I see nothing wrong with cleaning it, by whatever method.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sei - I agree.

In this case, the cleaning is clearly an improvement over the original state. I think he can get slightly above melt for this coin on the bay.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05