Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newcomb Attribution Request For '52 US Large Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,521Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  3:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted pics of this coin a year or so ago. This is the only large cent in my care, so I'd like to know the Newcomb attribution if it can be determined from the photos. I'm completely oblivious to that stuff so any expert help is appreciated.

Edit:
For anyone interested, the "goo" on the coin came from the decades-old Scotch tape that was wrapped around it. I gave her an acetone soak and it helped some, but the damage has been done unfortunately.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
02/19/2019 3:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can spend the next few weeks going through this book.

https://archive.org/details/centbook181618390000john

Other than that I can't help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

From what I gather the late dates can be a challenge to attribute but it can be done.

Wishing you luck as I've never tried attributing large cents of any date.

-MV
Pillar of the Community
United States
2948 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it to be an N14. From these pictures that's the best I can do. If you can post larger pictures and I can look at it again but right now I'd say N14.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies. I will see about getting some larger photos and add to this post this weekend. In the meantime, I will check out N-14. Appreciate the time and attention.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20695 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an almost full Album of those and nave have worried about actual grades.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17710 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can spend the next few weeks going through this book.

https://archive.org/details/centbook181618390000john

Bad link, and that book wouldn't help anyway, it covers 1816 - 1839, the OP's 1852 wouldn't be in there.

Try this link to get to the book you referenced
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/530759

I believe the only book online that covers the late dates is Howard Newcomb's book from 1944. It works fairly well for the 1816 - 1839 middle dates but is much harder to use for the late dates. Neither Noyes or Grellman's books are available online. (They are much better but still under copyright. Both are currently out of print.)
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/526320
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Condor. I am looking at it now. Let's see how close (or how far) from the actual variety I can get...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2769 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to say N-20 by the date position and lines by the dentils between star 13 and the 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Jerry. I've been going through the data from the old reference that Conder provided and I'm pretty much out of my league on these. I'll check out what it says about the N-20.

Edited for spelling
Edited by Bump111
02/22/2019 10:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7313 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, the N-20 looks pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well,. (deep subject)

I'm going to tap out on this endeavor. It's obvious that I am not skilled in large cent attribution. I've been staring at the point of the bust, the location of denticles and numerals, and trying to locate die markers for days.

Thanks to those who provided educated info. I'm going to say it's maybe a N-20 and leave at that, although I will still try for larger photos as soon as I can get motivated.

Edited: my browser froze in mid post
Edited by Bump111
02/27/2019 8:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17710 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late dates are very difficult because the diagnostic die markers are often very small, very faint, and often impossible to see unless the coin is high VF or better, preferably better. And also if you are using the Newcomb book that can be another added difficulty.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2769 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grellman's book is pretty helpful if you can find a copy. Still not easy though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2301 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard that these later dates are difficult, but I didn't realize how much so until I tried this one.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Grellman book, Jerry.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: