Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Early Canada Kilo Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  8:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I saw this stunning coin in my Charlton Standard Catalogue the other day. It's amazing RCM produced such a detailed coin 12 years ago. The coin had a mintage of 2,500, with an issue price of $1,599.95.

Out of curiosity, I did a search on eBay. Surprisingly, this coin is now selling as low as $1,200, which translates to $34 per ounce. Not bad.

There was a dealer selling it for $1,400. I asked him for a special discount, since I bought a couple of expensive coins from him before. After many messages, I got a deal at $1,000, or $28.34 per ounce.

The condition

Inside wooden box I saw many small particles. I had to clean them with my vacuum. Now the box looks great after cleaning.

The capsules must have been touched a lot. Especially the top one. There was a mix of dirt and grease, which was hard to clean. I finally clean the capsules with rubbing alcohol.

I did open the capsules, since they were very easy to open. I took this opportunity to inspect the black dot at centre:

No,, it's not dust. It's a black dot that can't be removed.

I also checked other eBay listings. Most have the same black dot, at the same spot. Is the black dot intentionally? What is it?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justsilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found your post.

Find it interesting that my kilo coin has same black dot on the same spot.

And just found crack on coin capsule on top of that black spot.

Don't know the reason.

[URL="https://postimages.org/][/url]

[URL="https://postimages.org/][/url]
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting thanks
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@justsilver fortunately, my capsules don't have any cracks. But you comment give me this idea: that black dot is the highest point of this coin; it directly hits the top capsule, resulting the black dot. And a crack might occur if the spot hits the capsules violently, e.g., during transportation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justsilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo, looks like that way.

RCM's capsule might not be thick enough for RCM Kilo Coin.

And that black dot is the highest point which caused crack on the capsule.

Capsule was intact when I bought this coin years ago.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6520 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is beautiful coin and nice purchase, congrats!

Not sure, what exactly the difference, but this one looks like "piece of art" while many modern themed coins kind of tasteless.

For the black spot - I don't know these definitions, but people call it "tarnish" . I has these black spots / areas on the rim of the 1oz and 1/2oz coins from the "Linx" fractional set.
Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin. Congratulations

On your side on picture, it appears that there is also toning on the upper edge or is that an artifact of the case and photo.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2310 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine also had a black dot. I thought it was just oxidation.

I sold mine a few years ago... I don't recall the exact dollar amount but it was well over issue price + shipping.

I think $28.34/oz is a very good deal.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4311 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's so sad that it seems no Olympic themed coin does well no matter what size they are.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2614 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I did a search on eBay. Surprisingly, this coin is now selling as low as $1,200, which translates to $34 per ounce. Not bad.

There was a dealer selling it for $1,400. I asked him for a special discount, since I bought a couple of expensive coins from him before. After many messages, I got a deal at $1,000, or $28.34 per ounce.

No surprise at all, Colonial Acres was selling 1 Kilo coins for $999 a while ago. There is absolutely no demand for large expensive silver coins like 1/2 Kilo and Kilo coins. People are just throwing their money by buying them at issue price. Because they are so expensive, there are few buyers for them. Dealers pay bullion for Kilo coins.
The dealer is likely making money off you by selling you for $1000 if he bought it at bullion price.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the prices are listed cheaply above but are also listed as out of stock. I've got a feeling that if they had them in stock, they would be listing them slightly higher.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2614 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were part of the weekly blowout sale and were in stock when sale was on. I took the screen grab after they were sold out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4311 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not unusual in the GTA area shows for common unpopular NCLT coins, the honest dealers made no offers while the other dealers took full advantage of this market by offering only bullion value. This has been going on for about a year no wonder the RCM is starting to feel the lack of sales
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jam3z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo I have purchased recently a 1kg coin called in the eyes of the timberwolf 2017. I have noticed a few flakes of silver and dust inside the case. Is it worth removing the coin from its plastic case to dust out such things or should a person just leave it?
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jam3z There is always a risk of damaging capsules when opening them, even though you think you would be careful. I learnt this hard way. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend to open them, unless the capsules are really loose, e.g., the bottom capsule would drop if you try to lift the top one.
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05