Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 O Morgan Dollar Double Die Reverse?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  4:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add djmorrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Double die reverse? Please tell me if this I have something special or am I am seeking things. Does anyone have any ideas what VAM it is. I've tried and nothing matches up.

Edited by djmorrow
03/16/2019 10:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. You may want to post a full pic front and reverse. Also post weight and diameter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6476 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
image of the obverse please.. pass the popcorn GrapesCollects
thank you
Edited by collectinsince65
03/16/2019 7:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!

Obverse, BUS looks doubled
879 doubled, can't tell if the 1 is. I don't see anything else on the obverse

reverse, tail feathers doubled, arrow-heads doubled, medium O high and left but not tilted, polishing lines under left talons, would love to see this one in hand.

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c.../1879-O_VAMs
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
03/16/2019 10:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  06:55 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to a 1901 Doubled Die Reverse. Yours appears to exhibit all of the same traits.

Very intriguing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  06:58 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get a closeup of "God We"? While you are at it, get a closeup of the eagle head. It appears quite clear that there is doubling below the beak.

Also, have you checked to see if this is attracted to a magnet? Can you post a diameter and weight?
Edited by Jadey
03/17/2019 07:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has a clash from a VAM 24

BUT, the mint mark is wrong for that one, looks like a VAM 14 mark.
The 7 is doubled like a 24.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
03/17/2019 2:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at every VAM number listed on
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c.../1879-O_VAMs
I could not find any of these I circled shown or mentioned. Will definitely need better pics and someone knowledgeable to figure it out, or atleast someone much better than I.

Good luck!
Edited by NDBirdman
03/17/2019 2:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have the coin in hand?
Imho, its just shadows due to where the light hits the coin.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add djmorrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have this Morgan in hand on Friday. More photos to follow to really see what VAM this may be.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
djmorrow

Looking forward to seeing your images one in hand

a wise VAM man on another forum suggests that you may compare yours with VAM 39a

use the link above supplied by NDBirdman above to get you there

Mike
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DJMorrow

Any updates on this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3075 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not been on in some time but thought I would remind people that one needs to go to the root ov vamming which is the process of the making of the dies...........
1879-0 was quite a year for vams, as many a detail is not listed........my meaning is 1878 for vams has doubling trippling sextuppling listed in some vams,,,,over 200 are listed for 1878 alone...
Morgans are not the same as the 1955-s double die type coin so, one needs to revert back into the "PROCESS" making of the dies back then, which resulted in so much trouble for the mint to produce a coin that didn't have all the problems of making dies and the errors resulting from this process errors all in one year!
without getting into history and babbling on, as our roots go...
the mint never tried to produce so many coins so the masses of people had "offical" money, coinage in there han...d instead of making there own to barter with, AND the west expanded so rapidly and the eastern government didn't have cold hard cash and the mints tried to produce MILLIONS of coins and soon found they could not produce a die that could mass produce quantities of coins, they broke after nominal use...the production of dies could not be sucessfully reproduced which resulted in doubling or annealing process of the dies which needed to be re-pressed many times because of the deep relief needed, often resulted in many more than doubling, some 1979-0's I have have over 6 layers which in a sence are doubling as the ARE within the die
as ASH would aggree......there is more treasure in your coin to find before you know what it( VAM) is....its a tuff year as I know. weight stuff is not a factor the rules of doubling and not die shifting apply here
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05