Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What The Bank Told Me The Other Day....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I always pick up my coin rolls in the big city banks and then dump what ever I don't keep from the rolls into my bank account in a different city. The bank teller at the bank I picked up my rolls from on Friday said that they have a new policy that they do not take back change from roll searchers and she was hesitant to sell me the rolls of coins, when I explained that I do not return the change to her bank, she said ok and sold me the rolls. Must be too much work for them to count and re-roll the coins, or they get a lot of junk non coins back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it has anything to do with getting back rolls with non coins.
It has to do with cost. It cost the bank to have coins brought in and to send them back. It sounds like they were just letting you know they don't want them back.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Must be too much work for them.

This. The cost of dealing with coin handling and couriers is already accounted for monthly.
Tellers don't want to deal with the demands of coin roll hunters, and some will discourage to make their job much easier.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Local banks have been nice to me and my son so far. We've been nice to them too. Once had them say that they were running low on pennies over a weekend (if I remember correctly) and they asked if we could come back after they got their next shipment .... which we did.
Learn More...
United States
73500 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It has to do with cost. It cost the bank to have coins brought in and to send them back.
True.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bank personnel are most pleasant to the small time hobbyist.
It's the career roller dumping thousands of dollars in coin at a time, regularly, that is making it rough for the bank.

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local bank said they take my halves and dollar rolls and store them in the vault for when somebody comes in specifically looking for halves or dollars... they'll give them my rolls. Interesting side story, what I dump as junk becomes another's keeper. I try to keep MS65 and above but know often I'm dumping MS65 grade just because I have too many and they're common.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3703 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mikem007 - yep, nothing's changed since I started back in the late 70s...roll hunters really do nothing but search each other's dumped coin over and over again, but they say, always buy them all! I've found dozens of solid silver rolls that way. You never know what will get mixed in.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05