Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Constantinopolis Commemorative, What's The Worth Of This Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PrinceHarbinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Title edited and moved to ancients subforum - Sap
Learn More...
Australia
13057 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a relatively common coin. We can't see through the plastic to get a good idea of the coin's condition, but it's probably in the $20 range. Don't take it out of the holder, though; the provenance (where it was found) written ont he back might add some interest and value.

I will also move this to the Ancients subforum for more comment.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

It's best to remove the coin from the 2x2 before you take a picture so we can see what the coin looks like. From what I can make out I would say between $10- $15.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5495 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say DON'T remove from the holder; your coin is provenanced to a 19th century dig, which is more valuable than the coin by itself. These are very common coins; yours probably isn't worth more than a few dollars on ebay, but the provenance would be worth a lot more to people who like ancients with a recorded recent history.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd say DON'T remove from the holder; your coin is provenanced to a 19th century dig, which is more valuable than the coin by itself. These are very common coins; yours probably isn't worth more than a few dollars on ebay, but the provenance would be worth a lot more to people who like ancients with a recorded recent history.

If nothing else, some day that 19th century provenance could mean you're allowed to keep it (or, with some luck, even sell it) when the cultural property laws hit...
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only meant to take it out of the 2x2 to take pictures it could be put back in after.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I only meant to take it out of the 2x2 to take pictures it could be put back in after.
Depends on how the 2x2 is put together, but I wouldn't risk it myself. What would you do if the old staples don't survive the unbending and re-bending?
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the big deal about this 2x2? I'm sure it's not from 1893 and if it adds any value to an otherwise common coin it's not going to be much. Anyone could have written that information at any time, there is not verifiable provenance to that information.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9260 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  03:41 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with echizento. The 2x2 and writing on it prove nothing as far as provenance. It also hinders a good digital look at the coin. If this coin is worth more because of the poorly stored 2x2 it's in, then I need to rethink quite a bit.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
925 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of my metal detecting finds from college.
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And yet I see dumb dumb taking modern proof gold coins out of cases and leaving prints everywhere, just to take a photo and to weight the coin. O,o if you can afford a gold coin why don't you have a proper camera to do a high res photos. Weather that is the case for this coin I don't know. Personally I guess the extra info is better.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are fairly common ancient coins but very historical and important - struck to commemorate the founding of Constantinople.
Here is my example.. worth around $20.
Myself - I would take the coin out of the 2X2 so you can get a better look at the coin and maybe some
better photographs. Ancient coins are meant to be handled anyway... I would keep the 2X2 with the coin as a reference.

Here is mine:

A.D. 332-3
18mm 2.38gm
Obv. CONSTAN-TINOPOLIS laureate, helmeted, wearing imperial mantle, holding scepter.
Rev. Victory stg. on prow, holding long scepter in r. hand, and resting l. hand on shield.
in ex. TR P
RIC VII Trier 543
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
927 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Masis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well as you're in the US and provenance is always important, best to keep the coin holder. Not even worth taking it out as all the information is on the holder already. Mint of Heraclea. Quite unusual to have a coin from an eastern mint turning up in an archaeological excavation in the county of Hertfordshire, England. Most of the late Roman bronze coins that do turn up in such digs are from western mints like London, Trier, Lyons and Arles.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
927 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Masis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doing a search, there doesn't seem to be a "Taddington" in the county of Hertfordshire (shortened to Herts).
There are towns of that name in the counties of Derbyshire and Gloucestershire.
I guess whoever wrote that on the holder got the find information confused.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05