Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Frustrating Exchange With Ebay Seller

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  12:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw a BIN or best offer listing for a large cent I want on eBay so I checked recent sold listings for the coin and found the exact coin was sold a week ago to the seller. So I put in a best offer for the previous sold price just to start a negotiation and in case he needed to get rid of it at cost. Got a terse reply saying my offer was ridiculously low and far less than he had paid for the coin.

Willing to let that dishonesty go, I put in a second higher offer to give the guy some profit on the coin, and quickly got a rejection and a message to my email saying "you have been blocked from making any more crazy offers". Seems crazy to me to be buying coins on eBay and re-listing for 3 times the price a week later, then insulting and blocking bidders who make reasonable offers. Will not be buying from usrarecoins2019 again.

Pillar of the Community
United States
883 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like someone who has anger issues. You are probably best off not doing any business with him.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11769 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What someone paid before is irrelevant to sales. Without anymore information or seeing the coin he could have cherry picked something or found an underpriced listing. All that matters is the price of what is being for sale and if the buyer likes it there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1425 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is that scratched and holed 1809, I don't think he got much of a bargain when he bought it. You weren't unreasonable, and I would just move on.
Valued Member
Canada
218 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good rule of thumb is to not offer people half or less of what they are asking for soemthing. Unless you are expecting an angry response :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9260 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A good rule of thumb is to not offer people half or less of what they are asking for soemthing.

I agree with this as an eBay seller. If I have a listing as BIN or BO, don't offer less than half the BIN price. Thats an insult. Anything above that is in play.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based upon this seller's few offerings, problem coins, I'm guessing he got "buried" in them, price-wise, when he bought them. If so, that would explain his anger. It surely doesn't justify his anger, vented upon a prospective buyer, though.

Like many collectors, I've made some poor purchases. I find it best to take a loss, and move on. Life's too short; especially so, for those who relish collecting and the learning that accompanies their interest.
Edited by ExoGuy
03/25/2019 05:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1335 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nailed it ExoGuy
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17790 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the reasons I never use ebay.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1425 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would it be possible to post a link to the offering so as to be able to see the coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26777 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my thought as a seller; if you do not want offers of "whatever amount" do not ask for offers. If you get lowball offers just tell them,no thanks with a
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3935 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do it often but when I use Best Offer, I set the auto-reject for the minimum I'll accept.
That way I don't have to deal with nonsense offers.

Of course as the seller I get to decide what "nonsense" is.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
03/25/2019 08:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
34566 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with John - don't use BO unless you have a sense of humor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie you called it, it was that damaged 1809:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1431817053...l_noapp=true

My offer was fair given the market, and I made it since I cannot afford a decent problem free example. In principle I agree it doesn't matter what the seller paid for it. On eBay, though, I use sold listings to get a feel for the market value of coins and make a fair offer. Certainly not worth it to overspend on a coin like this, I just prefer the classic heads without the characteristic porosity and will find a better one eventually. Thanks to all here for sharing your views.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
26777 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALL BIDDERS MUST HAVE AT LEAST, "10", POSITIVE FEEDBACK WITH NO NEGATIVES IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS AND HAVE BEEN A ACTIVE MEMBER OF, "EBAY", FOR AT LEAST THE LAST SIX MONTHS, ALL OTHER OFFERS WILL BE TURNED DOWN, OR PURCHASES WILL BE CANCELLED
Does eBay allow sellers to do that?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2351 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a topic about ebay offers some time ago here's a link.
http://goccf.com/t/286181
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05