Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ecu DE Six Livres 1793 - Convention Nationale, French Revolutionary Coinage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1451 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  03:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to ask if anybody here has some experience or knowledge concerning the Ecu de Six livres, struck by the French National Convention during the revolutionary year of 1793.

I have two examples in my collection, one struck at Lyon (Atelier D), the other at Lille (Atelier W).

The Lille raises some question for me as it shows some anomalies not seen on other similar coins: first, it displays a die break on reverse which, I think, was the reason for the weak strike which can be seen in places.
The other anomaly is the irregular spacing of the date, specially the '9' which is wildly out of line with the rest of the digits in the date.
It have observed neither of these anomalies on any of the Ecu de Six Livres from Lille recorded on Acsearch.

The coin otherwise conforms well with the nominal specification for the Ecu de Six Livres de la Convention which are for a diameter of 38,5 mm and a nominal weight of 29,23g. The edge of my piece reads, in high relief, 'Dieu Protege La France'.

So there you have it: if anybody has some experience on these, strike characteristics, general appearance, etc regarding this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by GERMANICVS
03/25/2019 05:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help, but I love that obverse design. I used to own a small gold coin with this scene, and I can imagine it is quite striking on a large coin.

I know there were a higher percentage than normal of anomalies in French coins from those turbulent times.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another example from the beginning of the same year demonstrating that not all mints were on the same page with their issues.

I, too, would be interesting in learning more about how the revolution affected mint operations beyond the creation of new designs. I imagine there would have been disruptions at the top level of management as well as disruption in the supply chain (quality steel for dies and punches was difficult to produce until the 19th century -- that might lead to using dies and punches longer than usual -- the Lille mintmark in first example of the OP was made with a punch that was almost completely worn down).
Edited by jgenn
03/25/2019 10:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1451 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your input, tdziemia and jgenn.

It seems like in the absence of more direct knowledge about the subject (of mint conditions of French Revolutionary coinage), one should consider such anomalies as
being the result of mints operating during very troubled and uncertain times.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8980 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1451 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I am aware of that and other sites in France.
Unfortunately they do not provide the information I am seeking.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5183 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  05:29 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1989 Gadoury catalogue doesn't list a variety for 1793W, but the example of this type illustrated (a 1793L coin) has an irregularly-spaced date with the final '3' slightly too far to the right and distinctly lower than the other numerals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@GERMANICVS, maybe you've already done this research, but looking through other examples of this type on CoinArchives, one sees "imperfectly" punched dates at most mints except Paris and Lyon. There is an example from Rouen (B) with a low 9, and an example from Bayonne (L) with a low 3. Admittedly this is a very small sample, and the misalignment on these dates is not so extreme as yours https://www.coinarchives.com/w/resu...&results=100

An interesting historical aside ...

In late 1792 Lille came under siege by an Austrian army (Louis XIV had taken Lille by force in 1677, and it seems the Hapsburgs were still a bit miffed about it). There was a furious cannon bombardment that resulted in the damaging of thousands of buildings in the city. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege...Lille_(1792)

Maybe the Lille die sinker was still experiencing "shell shock" and had rather unsteady hands in 1793.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1451 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Numisrob. for I that bit of information. From what you say, improperly aligned numeral in the date seems not to be that anomalous after all. My example from Lille just seems a bit extreme.
Edited by GERMANICVS
03/27/2019 03:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1451 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, tdziemia. I have looked at the examples in acsearch, among them a fair number from Lille and noticed, as you have, that improper numeral alignment is not that uncommon. My example is just more 'extreme', and particularly, I did not see any examples at all with die failures from any of the mints. This one seems to be the only one.

The historical background that you mention, namely the siege of Lille in 192 by the Austrian armies probably did have some effect on the work at the Lille mint.

In general I am surprised about the apparent general lack of die and manufacturing information concerning the Ecu de 6 Livres de la Convention. These are coins which enjoy a lot of collector popularity and I expected to find more information about them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine that somewhere in the 100+ year history of the Bulletin of the French Society of Numismatics, there is an article on this type.

I've never been deeply enough into the field to try and access literature like this (though the more time I spend on CCF, the more likely it becomes).

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05