Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1778 8 Reales Real Or Counterfeit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  08:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ruanjuan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First time on this forum...not sure if this is the right spot for this. Just got this on ebay for a really good price(80) and it is my first 8 reales so
just wondering if anybody can give me info on this.
I know they go by weight and metal analysis but I only got an ounce scale. it is suppose to be around 27 grams and it weighs .9 ounces so it is close.

does it visually look right?the real question is I want to know if it is worth sending in for grading or send it back to the seller.
thanx for any help.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
26745 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Nice pics. Give it a bit and members will help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2351 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
does it visually look right?the real question is I want to know if it is worth sending in for grading or send it back to the seller.

I am no expert, but this coin looks ok to me. As far as sending it in. NO. This is a nice coin, and you got it for a good price, but there is no upside in it. It will not considerably appreciate in value by being entombed in TPG plastic. Your shipping cost alone would negate any minute gains that TPG authentication would bring.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this is the right forum for this kind of question.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3418 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy!!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7693 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
69544 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might find this useful while you wait for more comments.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ruanjuan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks jgenn, that link was very useful.
another question I have is there a price guide somewhere that is pretty good for these 8 reales? also I just purchased another one(see pic) that is an NGC certified el cazador coin for 103$ I like that I already know its genuine and the history of the el cazador is great. Was this a good price for an el cazador coin and is there a price guide for these coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was this a good price for an el cazador coin and is there a price guide for these coins?

Your price falls within the normal range for these. In general, only coins that can be graded will have a value you can look up in a price guide. The best way to check a value is to look at comparable items in auction archives (e.g. ebay listings for sold items).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like that I already know its genuine

I'd be careful with that line of thinking. Just because something is in an NGC or PCGS slab doesn't make it automatically genuine, as we have seen far too many times in this forum. Especially with 8Rs, there are way too many instances of TPGs certifying non authentic coins.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ruanjuan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once I got a counterfeit coin in a counterfeit slab but doesn't the TPG company guarantee its authentic when they slab it?
Do you cableguy think that the NGC el cazador coin looks not authentic? It has a salt water corrosion look to it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think cableguy815 was making a general statement and not referring to your El Cazador. That coin is one of many that was conserved and encapsulated for the salvager and Franklin Mint. NGC does not use that label for any other coins.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, what jgenn said. I am absolutely unable to comment on the authenticity of your example. I personally wouldn't collect such a coin as it is not in my scope of interest, but I certainly understand the historic allure.

My point to you was to be careful with the "if it's in a TPG slab, it's 100% authentic" mentality. Aside from the fact that there are loads of fake slabs out there, there are also plenty of genuine slabs with fake coins. Getting a TPG to honor said guarantee is also no easy process (you got to read the fine print), as many a person on this forum can attest to. And even if you do get a TPG to honor their guarantee, I think the amount a TPG would pay you (their idea of Fair Value) and what you think they should pay you (your idea of Fair Value) can be greatly different.

I apologize, it is not my intent to frighten you and paint TPGs in a bad light, but to merely adjust your way of thinking slightly and to get you to think about the value you put on a TPG's slab.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2019  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ruanjuan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very good explanation cableguy...thanx again for your input..
It is actually very sad that we even have to be skeptical about even slab coins and that there are dishonest people that will
dishonor the hobby.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05