Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On Purchasing Rolls Through Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to collecting and started getting into it seriously for a few months now and ive been wanting to search penny rolls but since canada does not make them anymore I cant just get some from the bank. I was looking on ebay and seen this ad

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-BANKERS-b...refresh=true

I was just curious on what your guys thoughts may be and if I should go for it or not. I'm a bit hesitant on buying coins online and try to just buy or collect locally.

Thanks for any input you may have and if you know of any good/safe bank roll sellers on ebay I would love to hear about them.

I know finding real unsearched rolls on ebay is like finding a needle in a haystack but I hope to get my hands on a few.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3067 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't believe for a second that they are "unsearched"

Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jimbucks, I think they probably are searched already and thats where I'm stuck. Its hard finding real unsearched rolls, in his description he makes it sound like the rolls are circulated original/unsearched rolls from the bank but in his other ads he has alot of single coins hes saying he searched high and low for so I'm stuck. I might make an offer on a box to see what happens but I dont believe they arent searched. I'm still looking though and have not made up my mind.
Learn More...
Canada
8419 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unsearched rolls are still out there, but look for paper "shotgun" rolls with tightly crimped ends, or more modern rolls (post-1989) in plastic with tight, plastic ends. The older paper rolls were done by banks and armoured car companies, as there are no such thing as "original rolls" prior to the early 1980s - coins were released from the mint in sealed bags.

That said, if you are new to the hobby, buying BU (mint state) rolls is better than buying rolls from circulation. Even rolls that have been searched are excellent for learning how to recognize and grade MS-60 to MS-64 coins, a skill that will serve you well as your collection grows.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35444 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I'd advise against it. The odds against finding an honest roll are long, and even if you found one, think of the money you'd have spent getting there!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After first flinching, then thinking that maybe it made sense if you were pulling coppers or looking for mint errors rather than rare dates, I did the math and was shocked to see the pennies cost more than three times face value.
Doesn't sound like the best of deals to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1624 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but since canada does not make them anymore I cant just get some from the bank.

thats what you might think but spend an afternoon and drive around and every bank you pass stop in and ask. some banks will hand them out and some wont and the ones that wont will on another day/different teller and I bet by the end of the day you'll have close to $100 worth. I do this all the time some banks asked me to leave my number and they call me when they come in. also ask for silver $ and 50c pieces and old paper money you would be surprised and what you might get from time to time
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gidjit, I was under the impression that once the penny became obsolete they weren't putting anymore into circulation even if asked. I had the assumption that once you bring pennies into the bank they send them off to get melted down since they dont make them anymore. I live pretty much in the middle of no where with a good handful of local banks with some pretty friendly tellers, so if that is the case I may just have to go in and ask around. It would be awesome if I could pick up a few rolls they might have laying around, I really enjoy searching for errors and wheats so even a few rolls will keep me busy for a while.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought I would give everyone an update, I still have yet to find a bank that would give me some rolls of pennies, I had 2 banks tell me they dont have any, and 2 that said they DO but cant hand them out. I plan to go back and talk to another teller and possibly ask for the manager so I can tell them what I am looking for and hopefully they may help me out.

Also I had asked 3 different banks if they had any 50c pieces/half dollars and 1 of them said they dont have any and the other 2 looked at me with confusion and replied with "Do you mean 25 cent quarters?" was kind of shocking that 2 different tellers that were way older than I am had no clue what a 50c piece was let alone they even existed.

With all that said I am still looking for penny rolls and I would love to get my hands on some 50c pieces as well and plan to check a few more banks in my area.
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's one of those things where the stars all have to align. You need to be at the right place at the right time speaking with the right person. Good luck and let us know if you come across anything!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05