Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Doubling On The Reverse Of Nickle 1996

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 596Next Topic  
Valued Member

Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  9:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening guys,
I have two Nickles of the same mintage and year (1996). I did this to prove the difference of this nickle I got today. What are your thoughts ?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44992 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the second one is 1998-P or D. The first one looks like a 1996-P. So what is the question. 'P' means it is from Philadelphia. 'D' is from Denver. The mint mark locations are part of the design, so they are all in the same location on the die. On the second nickel, there is a contact mark on the front porch of the building.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are P
Edited by ikuna
04/05/2019 9:50 pm
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are Ps 100%. Just checked. I have many Ps and none is like this one.
This is a better pic. I added some more light to the environment.
Now that it have been proven that they are both from the Philadelphia Mint we can discard that hypothesis.
What's going on here ? Any more suggestions ?

Edited by ikuna
04/05/2019 10:01 pm
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silence is deafening. These pics are true and real, and I don't involve in deception. I need to know based on the experience of my friends here some suggestion as to what's going on. Could it be a new find ? I compared the reverse with that of 1960's coin and found one kinda close but the coins I have in that decade are well used and not too define. I also noticed that a 1973 coin look close also. Please guys check and see if any of your coins match what I have posted. You all may have the older coins in better condition than mines.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Machine Doubling, since the size is reduced and shelflike in appearance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10578 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you see near the dome of Monticello is MD.

When comparing coins for something like this, you need the same year and mint. Otherwise, different hubs and dies are involved so you cannot make an accurate comparison. Even the same year/MM can be different working dies, but it's as close as you can get.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning guys. I just compared all the nickles I have and have noticed that the reverse image is almost exact to the 1987 D nickle. Will post soon but it seems as though somehow the 1987 D design ended up on the 1996 P Nickle. This is no gimmick. I am inviting anyone who have the means to come to Trinidad and Tobago, we will meet at the Hyatt Regency Hotel Port-of-Spain and they can do ALL necessary tests. My 1996 P Nickle has the back of a 1987 D nickle. I am 100 % sure of what I have discovered.
Edited by ikuna
04/06/2019 07:28 am
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add briarmentrout to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your original post shows one 1998-P and one 1996-p

Your second post to prove that both are P MM is of two 1996... therefore different from the original coins you brought into question.

I agree on MD. It is also impossible for a '96 nickel to have the reverse of a '87.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the advice and input.
Valued Member
Trinidad And Tobago
263 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In summary the reverse of the two 1996 Ps are different. The consensus is that is so because one has MD.
The reverse of the 1987 D seems to have a close appearance to the reverse of the MD coin and so I concluded that this could have been so due to an error.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05