Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Your Tolerance Level Toward 'impaired' - Not 'perfect' Coins ?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1448 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  05:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently added this capped Bust Dime to my collection - 1825, JR-1 R-4.

As you can see from the pictures the coin has been cleaned. Yet, in spite of that,
I decided to go ahead an purchase it.

Why did I do that?

Lots of reasons: First, I love Early Bust Dimes and 1825 is a relatively scarce year in the series. Also, it is a scarce variety. Second, in my opinion the cleaning, while obvious, is not harsh or offensive and judicious window sill natural re-toning will improve its appearance further over time. It just looks nice. Finally, the purchase price was very acceptable (approximately the cost of a pizza dinner for 3 - incl. beer).

So I have to ask, would you have bought it? what is your tolerance level toward 'impaired' coins? where do you draw the line?

Edited by GERMANICVS
04/11/2019 07:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  06:18 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, right now I am trying to put together a problem free type set. But, at that price I think details would win me over. The sharp higher grade may be cleaned but is better then a lower grade I think.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Among other things, I collect some Colonials (US).

I'm far from wealthy, so a lot of my coins are very bad looking. But I'm more interested in the coins, not their condition.

Otherwise, I'd collect proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
833 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would gladly own that coin. Especially at that price. If it picks up some toning as you say, it will be quite attractive.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1448 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, guys, for your input.

By and large, your opinions reflect mine.

For me, historical context and numismatic appeal (including rarity) weigh almost as much, if not more than, than just merely having a coin with few or no flaws.
I have at least two coins in my collection which have been holed and or plugged, but which I liked for the above reasons.
Edited by GERMANICVS
04/11/2019 10:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's coin I would regard as a 'details' coin, not an 'impaired' coin.

I am more familiar to applying the comment 'impaired' to a proof coin that has been degraded in some way, and is in less than pristine condition.

'Details' and 'impaired' normally require some sort of clarification on what the nature of the 'details' or 'impaired' actually happens to be.

Would I have bought the OP's coin, if given the opportunity?
Yes, and for exactly the same reasons.

Actually, my first numismatic love is for ancient coins. Almost 100% of them would qualify for some sort of a 'details' comment. What is normally done with ancient coins however, is that they are fully described as a matter of course.
The top condition for a pristine ancient coin, is that it is simply described as 'as struck', rather than given some sort of 'MS' rating.
Nothing said about 'impaired' or 'details' - these terms more properly applied to milled coins or modern machine made coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5346 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to purchase an 1825 dime these days, it would have to be slabbed. I generally buy only slabs which are not details-graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7661 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to avoid problem coins. They are much harder to sell why it comes time to upgrade, and they have lost their originality.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3306 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am ok with buying coins with good eye appeal that may have minor issues. That coin is pushing 200 years old and most of us have a budget to adhere to so, I am of the mind that compromises need to be made sometimes. Perfect is often not achievable and acceptable is open to interpretation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2124 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GERMANICVS - I have bought a few bust half dollars that look similar to your dime. It seems that so many of them were cleaned, but they are beautiful coins.

My other favorite series is Large Cents and the 1808-1814 Classic Head Series is another area where I've 'had to settle' for details coins usually with minor environmental damage. This is more serious than cleaning but the copper was of such poor quality that I really haven't been able afford these in a clear grade. I hope to eventually upgrade one year at a time.
Member ANA and EAC
Edited by cipster
04/11/2019 1:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10983 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a fan of cleaned or problem coins . Also I agree with sel-69l OP's coin is not impaired . I don't buy any old coin just because I got it at a fantastic price . But I know others feel differently . To each his own .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! An "absolutely" on would I buy it. I have many dimes falling into the topic at hand. No Capped Series yet though. So long as it doesn't look like the bumper of a fifties Cadillac or as though it were sandblasted I'm fine with cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over a long life I've learned to avoid cleaned or impaired coins of any kind, simply because of the difficulty of selling them down the road. There's always a straight coin to spend your money on rather than something you'll first think "problem" when you look at it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Classic coins, if all it was was a dipping, and the price was right I would buy it. I also buy holed coins. It was an accepted practice at the time of issue. While I would prefer them not holed, the price can be very attractive. I recently purchased Capped Bust Half that, aside from the hole, would grade a conservative VF35; for a bit over melt. Which at the time was about $5. Why? Because the dealer ( I'm a dealer myself) was what I refer to as a "Snob". He was telling me that he would never purchase a holed coin, on it's own because they are "trash". When I pointed out the raw, and unpriced CBH to him and asked him what that "trash" was worth. He grimaced and qouted me 10 percent over melt....then pulled the other holed coins from his case!

Whizzed no. Acid dipped no....except for some key date nickels. Converted to jewelry ( that is with a surround), perhaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a reasonable collection of holed coins (mainly small American silver and British Maundy coins). All have come from dealers' junk boxes. All bought at very cheap prices. I would think that most of them would have been holed for jewelry purposes.

Together, they make for an interesting sub collection.

I also have a reasonable collection of small American silver and British Maundy coins, none of which have problems. The British Maundy coins are generally much scarcer, and most would grade at MS60 or better. None are slabbed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3671 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to avoid problem coins but would buy scarcer early type with minor problems if the value was good. Can't be an easily replaceable coin and it still needs to have decent eye appeal.
Edited by Joe2007
04/11/2019 8:20 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05