Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Sets - Spring Cleaning

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  10:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm at the point of deciding the destiny of my collection of 1971+ Cdn proof (or Specimen sets) and would very much appreciate any advice. I've already extracted the Silver Dollar for my silver dollar collection but the remainder of the sets are of no interest to me. Plus the cases take a lot of space to store.

Taking a look at older proof coins or sets sold on eBay, is it fair to say the vast majority have officially joined ranks with '80s Olympic coins and are sought or retained primarily for bullion value? Charlton Vol 2 is a helpful est value tool as well.

If so, I see no purpose in keeping them stored in their bulky cases. But tossing them in a bucket of junk silver seems rather radical, although it may be the most sensible solution. Eventually I'd probably unload them to a dealer. Has anyone else been faced with this same dilemma?

Your thoughts please.
Edited by wildflowerAB
04/14/2019 10:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
609 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wanted to start my own proof specimen collection. But the idea of buying all the sets seemed crazy expensive!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7499 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before 1996 the only silver coin in the sets was the dollar.
Post 1981 frosted coins are desirable.
For the most part the pre 1981 coins are spenders.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, you're right, forgot about that. Yes, in the older sets only the dollar was silver. Makes the space wasting storage even more senseless (no pun intended).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4532 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should see if anyone on here wants them before you take them to the bank.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
671 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give them to kids (next generation) to start collecting coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would try selling the coins individually, by denomination or in small groups. It's a lot of work but that's the only way to maximize your return I think. Since you've taken the dollars out for your collection I would take all the coins out and put them on non-PVC flips. The presentation cases are just dead weight at this point. Solves the storage issue...

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Good point, Canadian_Coins, yes it's definitely the bulk of packaging that takes up an extraordinary amount of space.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2488 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS cannot sell those mint/ proof sets very well. They are sold for a small premium over face value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are a hard sell without the silver dollar.
I know my LSC has removed them from the cases and
gives the cases away to anyone who wants them.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2845 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

They are a hard sell without the silver dollar.
I know my LSC has removed them from the cases and
gives the cases away to anyone who wants them.

Now you've given an amusing thought, as I recall people here mentioning handing out rabbit 1967 5c at Easter time. I could hang out at a Walmart parking lot, wear bunny ears and have them gone in a flash! Haha that'd be fun if I didn't get arrested for loitering or something. But, yes a donation to a local dealer may prove a good solution.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2302 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Give them to kids (next generation) to start collecting coins.

I don't know about the next generation, but my kids *today* rarely use hard cash at all, let alone coins.

Unfortunately for our community, the future is trending toward a system without physical currency.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wildflowerAB ...how many sets do you have to sell? give me an estimate, Id be interested in it all when I'm able to buy on here!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And there you have it - one man's junk... another mans jewel....

I was going to add that in the late 60's I was 8 years old when I took an interest in collecting coins. Due to the release of new coins(without silver), and the old coins (with silver) - some of the older ones were becoming scarce. I remember having a hard time finding anything older than a 1947. That's only 20 years. Now, you're about to give away 50 year old coins just because?

You must have some youngster you can set up with collecting. Give him a binder with a bunch of 2x2s, and holders, and the coins, and see what happens.
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top up this coming years CCF Secret Santa with some of those coins, especially if your recipient is from another country.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05