Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage For Ike PCGS Slabs (Or PCGS Slabs In General)

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I'm now tempted by the box that Nickels_rule posted on the first page -- the metal one with the handle on top and the foam slots. We talked about off-gassing by wooden boxes, but some plastics do that too. Is that a concern with these foam-lined boxes? Any any reason to stay away from sellers on the 'bay, in favor of the named brands typically mentioned here?
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  07:07 am  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alpha2814 - I bought my case from Amazon in case I didn't like it and needed to return it.
I will say it looks just like the ones on ebay.......I wish I knew weather or not the foam was inert but I couldn't find any information about it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10096 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CelticKnot-Just a little more grist for the mill as they say...the box I listed in post #7 of this thread that is built to take 30 slabs, when the appropriate foam dividers are removed, will neatly hold two blue PCGS plastic boxes making storage for 40 slabs, more than enough for a nice set of Ikes. Just sayin....

Quote:
Good to know!

Indeed!

Quote:
]I wish I knew weather or not the foam was inert but I couldn't find any information about it.

Sounds like you'll be taking it out at some point anyway.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sounds like you'll be taking it out at some point anyway.

Yes, there will be 36 in my set.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the case that originally held 30 slabs.

Now it holds 40.

Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jbuck, it worked out pretty well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3990 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice way to make more room in the case. Very ingenious.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say, the slabs look more secure that way. The foam made them look a little loose to me.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice way to make more room in the case. Very ingenious.

Thank You scopru

Quote:
I have to say, the slabs look more secure that way. The foam made them look a little loose to me.

jbuck-the foam inserts were made to accommodate PCGS slabs and other TPG slabs and they were a little loose, the boxes are PCGS boxes..hence the better fit. (I will have to admit that it makes a little more noise now though.)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The loose-foam thing is the subject of a few negative reviews on Amazon for similar cases. It's probably not a huge deal and one could cut cardboard inserts to keep the slabs in place -- that kinda defeats the purpose but it's still a better presentation than the plastic boxes.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Nickels_rule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alpha2814-I didn't have a problem with the fit or finish of the original case, I just needed more capacity.
I can live with the plastic boxes.
Learn More...
United States
78326 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck-the foam inserts were made to accommodate PCGS slabs and other TPG slabs and they were a little loose
Makes sense. The box I use accommodates both PCGS and NGC slabs. The two NGC slabs I have fit really tight, almost too tight. The PCGS slabs have some wiggle, but not too much wiggle because they are tighter on the edge.

Quote:
the boxes are PCGS boxes..hence the better fit. (I will have to admit that it makes a little more noise now though.)
The noise would be more than worth it for the better fit, in my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10096 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Nickels_rule -- that looks GREAT!

So, when are you going to change your handle to "Ikes_rule"?
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05