Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Real Roman Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  8:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add General Tso to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wondering what this is and is it real. I know nothing about roman coins.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
22279 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes It's real and AS of the emperor Trajan.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15246 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very large flan for the dies, but I agree:
genuine (so far).
Would like to see some pictures of the edge.
Belgium
9 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thelloyf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real! Quite a common find in Europe.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4129 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to be real but a little too large for an As, I would think it is a sestertius. Assarii were made of copper and sestertii of brass, so you can probably tell in hand which it is without measuring its diameter.

I think it is this issue, showing Felicitas (Goddess of luck):
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/...RIC_0672.jpg

Trajan, 115-116AD,
IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DEC P M TR P COS VI P P - draped, laureate bust right
SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS (the senate and the people of Rome) // S - C - Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia - this coin is celebrating the good luck of the people of Rome thanks to Felicitas.

S-C stands for SENATVS CONSVLTVM, signifying that the emperor has permission from the senate to mint copper and brass coinage.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05