Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1772 Madrid Pj - 8 Reales - What Is It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4850 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  11:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a "coin" being sold on eBay that is actually NOT;

A coin.

or

A counterfeit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352643587414

Here is the object itself.

The seller is new to eBay. But he describes the object as if it was a 1772 Madrid 8R made of silver which is obviously incorrect. He gives a weight of 28 grams.

In the field behind the King's portrait is a raised feature:

That is rather clear with a date of 2002 - it is some sort of copy.

If you notice the object clearly is surrounded by a metal ring that is connected to the edge of the object. I presume it is a cast that includes the rim as an integral part of the object.

For that reason I believe it is a "Bowl Bottom" similar to the example illustrated on page 174 of my book. For over 100 years such faux coins have been mounted as bottoms of bowls, cups and ash trays. They are curios no more no less.

It is not a coin. It was made in 2002 not 1772. It is not even silver - looks like electroplated brass or bronze.

In the old days, this would have been removed from eBay - but not because it is illegal. It is only improperly described.

However, a value of $ 99 or anything near that is ABSURD. Perhaps $5 would be more realistic.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad that wasn't a genuine 8 reales. Charles III Portrait issues from Madrid are scarce enough as it is.
41 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a copy with a similar mark. It's a copy of an 1687 8 Escudos. Though I had to use a VPN to access it, I found an ad for a similarly marked coin where they say it's an official copy from the Spanish Mint, what makes sense.
https://www.milanuncios.com/monedas...61078843.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4850 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Giovanni Miceli Puperi The replica you posted is a 5 Euro item. Distressed as the 1772 is - my $5 estimate may be high.

The fact that the item is an "official" replica does not make it valuable unless it was a limited edition and is an MS level.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05