Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cash Coins - My Display For The Local Coin Show This Year

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Australia
13111 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  09:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Every year, the local coin clubs here in Brisbane put on a combined display booth at the ANDA coin show. I try to put something in every year, This year, I've chosen Chinese (and other East Asian) Cash Coins, starting from the pre-Qin ban liangs all the way through to the final series of machine-struck cash. It's not "comprehensive", but it's something I could display that was reasonably "complete", in the sense of all the major dynasties and time periods being present.

Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37782 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very (not infinitely) impressive!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1199 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent display! I have done these before for coin shows and I know how much work is involved.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent display.
I would like to see a close up of the individual write up of one or two coins that you may select.

I have a collection of about 200 cash coins, covering all Dynasties and most Emperors. (hence my interest)

All of my coins are in 2x2's, fully identified using Schjoth. My writing is abysmally poor, unfortunately.
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive display.
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done I once set up a display of ancient Romans in my school, it took over two weeks, but it looked awesome. If I can dig up the pics I'll post. I have about 25 of these that a picked up for $1 a piece. I always wondered if I had any that were valuable (dollar wise).
Valued Member
New Zealand
263 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, Impressive display
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11955 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sap, well done. I really like that you include similar cast cash coins from neighboring countries.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
Australia
13111 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Excellent display.
I would like to see a close up of the individual write up of one or two coins that you may select.

I have a collection of about 200 cash coins, covering all Dynasties and most Emperors. (hence my interest)

All of my coins are in 2x2's, fully identified using Schjoth. My writing is abysmally poor, unfortunately.

To save on download quotas, it's probably easier and more useful if I copy-and-paste the text straight onto the forum.

Tang Dynasty - The Kai Yuan Tong Bao coinage was issued for most of the period of rule of the dynasty (AD 621-907) with only slight variations in calligraphic style - the longest ever time period of issue of a single unchanged coin design, anywhere in the world. (Kai Yuan tong bao, c.730)

Five Dynasties Ten Kingdoms - Another period of anarchy followed the collapse of Tang rule in 907, with five dynasties in rapid succession in the north, while the south of the country split into several petty states. (Southern Tang Kingdom, (Tang Guo tong bao, 937-975)

Song Dynasty - Chinese calligraphy reached it's zenith during the Song Dynasty, and their coins are generally considered the most artistic in the series. Each emperor had numerous reign-names, and each reign-name has numerous calligraphic styles. (Tian Shen yuan bao, 1023-1032)

Southern Song Dynasty - Invaders from the north breached the Great Wall and overthrew the Song Dynasty in 1127, the remnants of the Song court fled south and maintained control of the southern half of China until 1279. Iron coins are common during this period. (Chun Xi tong bao, 1174-1189)
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05