Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just A Fun Photo Of Work Ahead Of Me:

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you planning on selling them as is? Maybe a few at a time? Or, are you spending the time needed identifying and cleaning?
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The phone is just on Spectrum Cable bundle with cable / Internet / home phone and works fine.
I wish I had a photo handy, but I still have a model 500 like yours in avocado green. I got rid of the landline a long time ago, but I keep the phone for nostalgic decorative purposes.

Quote:
I know they say the old spark system when you dial is not supposed to work with modern digital cable but it dials out just fine so I never changed it.
Not really a spark, but the rotary dial pulses (momentarily disconnects) the loop circuit connection. The pulses are interpreted by the switch equipment as numbers. Most modern central office equipment will not support pulse dial, but many of the analog-to-digital end user boxes like the one used by Spectrum handle it just fine.

By the way, you can "even more manually" dial phone numbers using the "hang up" buttons in the receiver cradle. Just tap tap tap with the right timing. It was a fun little trick I did to impress my friends when I was a kid. I had few friends.

All that aside, enjoy your search!
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travelcoin:

Lot of Romans with details, vs Greeks, vs Byzantine are 20 or more in a lot. And culls are 100 in a lot. Have about 6 days up now. And am being religious about going through the bowl and putting them up. Starting to move back to regular coins now, but I will force myself to move this bowl. Found like 500 more today I did not even include in the bowl. All have to leave for me to figure out what I even have. Just grab in the bowl, sort, and list.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck:

When there was a rotary lock on the dorm phone we did that tap tap tap trick as well to dial out with correct timing. Either way, not having touch tone on the phone is a benefit as I have associated the rotary phone with only good calls to family friends as I can't do banking on it. So using it is always a good experience as I can't press "one" for anyone for any reason. I can just talk on it and it is stress free. I have other landline touch tone phones for stressful banking and surveys. And I am too much of a scientist, the cell phone is nothing but a piece of class petri dish for hold against my face. Stupid as can be setup they have there for spreading germs. On another note, at my college 20 years ago the quad was as noisy as can be with students. Now they all mindlessly walk looking at the screens quietly and it feels like a seminary except no one has prayer books. That is not social media at all, it is plug into people who don't disagree with you and find people who think exactly like you and watch their thoughts that mirror your own. I always tell my students to monetize their hobbies online at least. Like sell coins if you are going to research them. Don't just find time sinks to pull your life away.
Learn More...
United States
70746 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When there was a rotary lock on the dorm phone we did that tap tap tap trick as well to dial out with correct timing.
You knew where I was headed...

Quote:
Either way, not having touch tone on the phone is a benefit as I have associated the rotary phone with only good calls to family friends as I can't do banking on it.
With practice you can emulate the necessary tones with your voice ("DTMF talk off").

Of course, most modern call centers will prompt you to "press or say" the option. For some reason banks seem to fall behind here.

Quote:
I always tell my students to monetize their hobbies online at least. Like sell coins if you are going to research them. Don't just find time sinks to pull your life away.
Sage advice.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15246 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A two stage project:
1st: clean them all
2nd: fully identify each one.

A hard way to earn a living, with each coin of low average value, but lots of fun for a collector.
Potentially, I have found that the value doubles, or even a lot more, after each coin is fully identified.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that telephone in the background fully mobile?
Or just a collector piece?
Edited by sel_69l
05/01/2019 6:23 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SEL 691

The Phone is fully functioning, dials out fine and I use it all the time. But I admit it also makes a great backdrop for tight photos I need people to see well like this edge photo of the Galba Tetradrachm below. Great for background contrast.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05