Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Odd Ancient Coin Find. What Is This?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well there is very little to go on and no details. But with shape, if it is a coin, it is anything from Byzantine to Muslim middle ages. Not earlier.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/04/2019 12:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
22474 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it's a coin at all.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento;

The reason I said "could " be Byzantine as before then something cut like this would not be a coin this thin. But the Byzantines did do some odd shaped coins like below:

Latin Rulers of Constantinople (1204-1261 AD), reduced AE trachy (scyphate), 0.77g.

Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see any details on it.... I'm honestly not even sure what metal it is... came with some ancient roman coins... was hoping someone might have a clue....
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thelionwarrior;

I could just be worn then over cleaned bronze. Either way, what is the weight and size?
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I expected to see something but its like a blank planchet it seems unless theres something I can't see. I'll have to check when I get back home. Defiitely some oddities with this batch of ancients... once the dirt came off this is all it was. Very perplexing.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second photo has no image at all. But the first might have some details. See below:

05/04/2019 4:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe try and use a blacklight? Do you think that would help see if there are details?
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking if I cant find any details I may make something out of it lol. Make my own coin hahaha
Edited by thelionwarrior
05/04/2019 4:39 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, the system changed both of my photos once I posted a second with a drawing so I just learned something about this computer system. (Now I got this sorted out.)

05/04/2019 4:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
22474 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I said that is because the cuts are uniform, most trimmed Byzantine coins aren't. That and the absence of any detail also. Of course I could be wrong.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
478 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento;

Certainly there is an intent to make an elongated octagon. But the item is hand clipped at best and not exacting for standards at all. So it is not stamped by a machine for a shape in my opinion. Could have been jewelry backing perhaps but not holed at all so it would need a bezel. And I recognize I am probably really stretching the limits with what I might be seeing. But sadly my eyes and mind are now biased to seeing the figure and I just can't un-see it. Sort of like when people see ghosts in smoke or Gods in clouds I imagine.
I am sure it was found with uncleaned coins, so there are only so many things you find with these. Buttons, medals, etc. And the original poster says he cleaned off the item so what was the time-frame of the rest of the lot as these things travel in packs from finds to people who clean them.
05/04/2019 7:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12409 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TLW, can you please give us the weight, thickness, length, and width of this piece? I ask because some small German coins (e.g. Hellers) were clipped in a similar pattern. A Heller would be much thinner and lighter than a Byzantine Trachy. @echizento also brings up a good point that it may not be a coin at all.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its about 3/4 inch long by 5/8 inch wide. Weight is 2.8 grams
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thelionwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight is very interesting... it's much bigger than a copper penny yet weighs less. Is bronze lighter than copper?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05