Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed To Identify Some Coins..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  02:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These coins were given to me yesterday..The 4 smaller coins are not my collecting area so any help will be much appreciated..

The Maximianus Follis
Ob...MAXIMIANVS NOB CAESS
Rev..SACRA MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS NN (star in right field)
Exergue..AQ?
I cant seem to get a RIC on this one?

Thanks in advance Paul
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin #1 - Try GALERIUS. "Maximianus" was elevated to Augustus, his coins do not have Caesar on them.

Coin #2 reminds me of Punic/Carthage, but some 'Greek' coins from the eastern Mediterranean also have palm trees.

Coins 3-5 have a familiar 'Greek' look to them with nice horses :-)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks pilegicvs!
Found it...
Coin 1..
Galerius Maximian, AE follis, Rome. 302-303 AD. MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES, laureate head right / SAC MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS NN, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae. Star in right field. Mintmark RQ. RIC VI Rome 106b.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mornin', Paul. I suspect that # 5 is an issue of Hieron II of Syracuse. Some of his AE's had Apollo obverses and riderless prancing horse reverses, and they resemble that one. #4 may be one of his too, but I'm less certain. Close-up pics of 3 and 4 may help.
Edited by Bob L
05/09/2019 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The form of the coins 4 and 5 is a technical curiosity found nowhere else . This coins show two bulges at the edge that lie across from one another at exactly 180 degrees , because the flans for these coins consisted of two cast half dome shaped parts that were connected to each other at the moment of striking . The bulges are the seam between the two parts that remained visible at the edge only . This form exists also by silver coins . So the coins are of Sicilian ioigine , as Bob L. stated . albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Casting sprues were often seen on Carthage coins, I believe. (Flans were cast in a strip prior to striking, like some Judaean and Ptolemaics, I believe) Given the earring on #4, and lack of a legend over its reverse prancing horse (a la Macedonian issues), perhaps it's Carthage, similar to:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5117499

Looking at the back of the head on the obverse of #3, I think perhaps it's another Carthage:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2008332
Edited by Bob L
05/09/2019 09:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was also thinking a Carthagean origine because at that time Carthogo occupied a big part of Sicily and the horse and the head of Astarte (if so ) are typical Carthagean . But I don t know much of AE coins . albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense that the lot would have a number of coins with a similar origin, in this case Carthage.
Edited by Bob L
05/09/2019 09:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Albert excellent info as always

Just one more question - What do you think is being depicted on the reverse of the palm tree?

Thanks again for your help...Paul
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
normally a horse head , but it is very difficult to see
here is mine : 19 mm , 7.8 gr albert

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry , wrong photo albert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05