Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Pics With My USB Plugable

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 908Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at taking coin pictures. The problem with the USB Plugable is that it doesn't zoom out or zoom in so I have to place it far away from the coin. The larger the coin, the further away I have to place the camera.

For the Philharmonic, Maple Leaf, Britannia, and Krugerrand, I took the pictures in my house at night time (no daylight was shining through the windows), and I used the camera's light at about 75% while placing a shaded lamp over the camera to provide better light. I'm mostly happy with the way these turned out.

However, on the Taku, Panda, and South Korean coin, I took those pictures during the day (daylight was shining through the room), and I had to move the camera even further up since these coins were slightly bigger. I tried the same lighting set up with the shaded lamp but it still didn't look good, so I used a Halo Floodlight instead. I wasn't happy with these pictures.

What are your thoughts on these pictures, and do you have any idea why the latter 3 coin pics didn't turn out as well?

AC

Pillar of the Community
United States
4209 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm using the same, but your images are far superior to mine. Nice!
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5338 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics look good but the lighting needs to be a bit better and also crop the pics a little closer.
By lighting I mean get the light the same all over the coin.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys! So I guess I'm doing pretty good with what I have.

Quote:

By lighting I mean get the light the same all over the coin.

Yes, I agree. But I don't know how. I tried using the light source from the actual camera and also tried shutting it off and using an alternative light source shining straight above, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure there is a way to get the light even with my setup.

If I can't figure it out I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, seems to be reasonable quality all things considered.

Thanks for the input!

Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ACWHAMMY
Pics look really good to me, and if by plugable USB you mean the actual pluggable brand one the pics are AMAZING! I have the same One and I have been trying everything and I can't get clarity anywhere near that What resolution do you have it set up I'm curious ?
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pics look really good to me, and if by plugable USB you mean the actual pluggable brand one the pics are AMAZING! I have the same One and I have been trying everything and I can't get clarity anywhere near that What resolution do you have it set up I'm curious ?

Hey thanks! I guess I am doing something right. Yes, it is the Plugable brand.

The resolution is set at 640x480. I also left all the settings at default.

I put the coin on a white sheet of paper, then I raised the USB camera high enough to fit the image of the coin, then used the focus. I used the light on the USB camera at about 75% and then set a shaded lamp angled almost directly above the camera. (With the shade in between the bulb and the camera so as not to have direct light on the coin).

As you can tell, the pictures I took at night seem to come out better than the ones I took during the day when sunlight was shining in the room. Perhaps it affected the cameras white balance?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll post more pics in the future.

AC
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimNWLincoln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To balance the light, I think alot of folks use multiple lights (atleast 2) from different angles/positions to the coin. Another option might be to take the picture with natural light (window) on one side and you lamp on the other. Good luck & have fun - it is always a challenge especially if coin is shiny or a has proof finish.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 908Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05