Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tiberius Denarius Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  5:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DerbyEnd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question

Could someone please let me know what they think of this, fake or real?

Thanks

Poll Choices
 Fake
 Genuine

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Respectfully, please state size and weight and please show the reverse and edge photo. I have expanded the image a bit but we do need the rest of the requested info above please.
Learn More...
United States
22526 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

We need to see both sides of the coin and size and weight.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento:

After a quick search of the posters home country's eBay I found the coin listing he or she is referencing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIBERIUS...AOSwvjtcfn0t
So 3.51 grams and 19.5 mm.
And here are the photos:

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, and I did not click the poll but I'd say both not genuine and even if genuine not worth the asking price in that condition for a common coin that this actually is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4373 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of looks like silver plated lead.
Learn More...
United States
22526 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be a fouree. A fake contemporary to the period. So it's and ancient coin but not an authorized type.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DerbyEnd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All, thank you for your help, yes as you can tell I know nothing about coins or posting on forums (I wanted to post as a question not a poll!)
Louisvillekyshop called it correctly, that was the one. I would like to get one of these as a present for my mother (she religious & has read about them) Is there anywhere you guys could recommend to buy the real thing, while neither she or I would know if it was genuine I'd rather not buy a fake.

Thanks. Patrick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin appears to be a fouree.

This coin is commonly faked due to it's Biblical significance, I would only buy from a trusted source. You can go to Vcoins.com, depending on your budget, you can buy with confidence.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patrick;

Great to have you here! Now if you "want" a coin, that usually means you will overpay for a coin as you take what is available. If you are patient and wait for a coin that matches what you want you do best but it takes time and you have to be willing to lose auctions in the process. This coin you want is unique as had it not been mentioned in the Gospels it was really just a days pay for a Roman soldier and Tiberius had a lot of days and a lot of soldiers. So it is not really rare, just prized because Jesus may have handled it. And even the worst of the bunch might be the one he handled as think of where the story takes place. A perfect example today probably never saw circulation in that part of the empire in my opinion to be handled by the common man and make it to today in such great shape. Anyway, you looked on eBay and probably looked on VCOINS with a lot of the same coins cross listed by dealers who are on both. The lowest currently is a guy in Spain (Prados) who has one listed on eBay at $79 make offer and the same coin on VCOINS at 50 Euros. But if you are willing to wait for a better coin, you might consider the auction houses of Europe that have pure auctions and the going price is realized (you pay commission). Below is one that Savoca has up and if you don't win it Roma in the UK or NN and the other auction houses that are often on the BIDDR site will have them. Heritage in the USA. Patience and you will get a nice coin in time is my advice.
https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/savoc...576&l=592007

By the way, go through the BIDDR site and look at past auctions to know what these are worth. Common coins trade enough you can quickly become an expert in condition vs price to pay for such a coin. For example, here are a few from a February auction going up in grade each:

https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/savoc...449&l=450142
https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/savoc...449&l=450141
https://www.biddr.ch/auctions/savoc...449&l=450140

And that is just one auction house. There are countless for you to research before you put money down.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/12/2019 2:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05