Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Court Rejects Iowa Man's Attempt To Pay $455 Court Fine In Pennies

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
685 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  7:44 pm Show Profile   Check HoboNickelCarver's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This man thought he would make a statement with 45,500 pennies.

Here is the article:

https://fox8.com/2019/05/10/court-r...-in-pennies/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35440 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would think the county would have backed off on this one and just wrapped it up, so to speak.

But no.

Edited by Coinfrog
05/12/2019 9:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11862 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can certainly understand how frustrated he might be, but he made his point and is just hurting himself at this point if he needs to renew things and can't because of it.

I bet we start to see some laws specifically banning things like this if it starts happening regularly
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems a legitimate legal challenge to me. Pennies are by definition legal tender. So if the county refused them then they thereby waive the costs/fine.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19873 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That seems a legitimate legal challenge to me. Pennies are by definition legal tender. So if the county refused them then they thereby waive the costs/fine.

They do not have to take them. A private enterprise is within their rights to restrict the denominations of coins or paper money they accept. We see this nonsense at least once a year here, grow up and pay your bill, you're just embarrassing yourself.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-c...-tender.aspx

Quote:
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They should take the penny payment and then contact a collector who would like to go through all those cents. Now that would be a massive roll hunt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35440 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty amazing the perp had all those cents waiting to go!
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
womder if he went to the bank specifically for the pennies
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know why Officer Shinybadge felt compelled to ticket a citizen taking a photo of an accident. Something must be missing from this story.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35440 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. "Contempt of Cop" citation? if the guy was within his rights, then paying the fine in pennies seems like a feeble response.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the court should invest in some common wheat cents, roll the 45,500 pennies up, stick one of the wheaties on each end, and sell them as unsearched rolls on ebay. They'd probably make enough to get a new "Welcome to Cedar Rapids" sign on the outskirts of town and fill in a few extra potholes.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"the courthouse told him he could come back every day for 90 days, making payments of $5 per day."

Seems like they are being reasonable to me if he really insists on paying in pennies.

He also sounds a lot like one of those "sovereign citizen" people that think they don't have to follow laws or pay fines or fees or taxes.

He was fined for trespassing. I don't know the whole story but seems like he was standing in a parking lot, under an overpass and when asked for identification went the "I don't have to, what law have I broken", "it's not trespassing, there's no sign" yadayada yadayada route with the cop which will always earn you a ticket at an accident scene or anywhere else.

The train derailed. For all they know the guy nearby with the camera is a terrorist filming his sabotage results and if not, just some lookie loo that will edge close and close to the accident scene until he's in to "for a better look".

I don't know the details but refusing to identify yourself and screaming "I know my rights" and "show me a sign" doesn't work except to get you a ticket or a ride to jail.

And going to court with a bunch of garbage and defending yourself won't work eiter. It's not TV. I. Real life a judge will normally uphold the fine and not even hear what you have to say without a lawyer and the process followed. It's a waste of time for the judge to have to listen to that.

Anyways. Sounds like the courthouse has no problem taking $5 a day in cents from him until it's paid.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2442 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever the merits of his legal case re filming the accident, he lost that case. Time to move on. I wonder what it would cost him in gas/ parking to make 90 trips to the court house?

You have to choose what battles to fight. 90 trips to a courthouse would not be worth my time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The court doesn't have a coin sort machine?

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15808 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This comes up several times a year. The stunt is long over and completely futile. Just hire an attorney if you were wronged in court. The poor workers in the lower levels of the court operation are just like most of us and they're the only ones who get upset. That judge and cop are just lmao now at him even more.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
05/13/2019 10:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11862 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to choose what battles to fight. 90 trips to a courthouse would not be worth my time.

Exactly, do it once get the attention and after that it's just hurting you
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05