Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Avro Arrow Anniversary Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't find any info on this. Anyone have another, or the origins.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Edited by loonielewy
05/14/2019 09:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4187 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was reported in the CN Journal by Jerry Remick as being produced by Hobby House Ltd. of Vanier, Ontario. 5,000 medals were produced at the original issue price of $3.75.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9490 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great info, chequer! Do you have a source link of any sort?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15261 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The CF-105 Arrow and the F4 Phantom 11 were similar aircraft in size, power, speed and vintage.
I am aware that many Canadians saw that the cancellation of the CF105 Arrow was a lost opportunity.

It puzzles me somewhat that after the CF105 Arrow was cancelled, the Canadian Air force id not buy the obvious alternative. They could have bought a reliable alternative, and have avoided all of the development costs.

The same can be said of the British TSR2. The Australian Air Force bought the F-111 Aardvark when that was cancelled, and continued to operate the F-111 long after it was withdrawn from U.S. service.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9490 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  02:35 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Australian Air Force bought the F-111 Aardvark

I am pretty sure my wife's grandfather worked on developing the Aardvark. He was an engineer for General Dynamics at the time and smaller things point to it.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Canada
177 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skelly423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pair of them somewhere in my house. As I recall I bought them at the Aviation Museum in Ottawa on a class trip in the late 90s. I remember there being a sizeable bin full of them in the gift shop.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's great info, chequer!

Just what I was hoping for. Now we know. Thank you chequer!

I did notice you called it a medal, that's what I had originally in the title, then edited it to token. It is a medal because it has no value. The Numista site got me confused.

Quote:
...cancellation of the CF105 Arrow was a lost opportunity.

I won't go there here, accept to say our loss was NASA's gain. Away they went to build space craft. .

Quote:

I am pretty sure my wife's grandfather worked on developing the Aardvark.

Very cool sprue. I got hooked on the Arrow saga at 18. We had a prof in college who was a flight engineer on Arrow 202 at the time of it's accident. Great stories, and one of the most brilliant men I have ever known.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
608 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you skelly423, more great info. Now we know where they were sold from. Makes total sense. The way you describe how many they had when you got yours, do you think all 5000 mintage were there? I'm thinking yes.

Valued Member
Canada
177 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skelly423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say this knowing that my memory from 20+ years ago is fickle at best. From what I recall there was a small bin of the medals, but I would estimate it closer to 500 than 5,000.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05