Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Working For PCGS ....suggestions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  01:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coins92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've been collecting for about 12 years now. One of my real passions is United States numismatics. I finished college with a degree in economics and political science. I am a year out of college and really want to pursue something I enjoy. I am 26 years old. I plan on flying to the Longbeach Coin Show June 5th. Any advice for me in my path of pursuing a grading career?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4489 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully you can get your foot in the door if that's what you want to try. I doubt if they hire rookies as front line graders though.

You might be better off starting out with one of the big auction firms to get your feet wet and build your industry reputation and contact list. Once others see your knowledge base expand the doors will start opening...even the door to the grading room!

I would imagine the coin business, including TPG, is like a lot of careers in that it can get boring quick, the hours can be long and it is subject to burnout after a few years.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  02:53 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest studying any grading material that's available and also attending grading seminars during the ANA convention(s).
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest contacting PCGS and ask what the procedures are.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
81 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are only young once! Follow your dream and see where it takes you. Working for one of the grading firms would be pretty interesting for sure... And hey, if you get bored and want to move on, so be it. Atleast you tried making your career revolve around your passion instead of just a mindless job to pay the bills.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is really only a hobby but many do make lots of money doing things with this hobby. Ever watch those coin shows on TV? Those people make a lot of money and people go to them, not them hunting buyers. I suggest you going to lots of coin shows, watching those TV coin shows, learn as much as possible about coins, then look into another possible job. Way to many sellers already out there now.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1445 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS usually hires coin dealers as graders. You need to take a grading test and I believe get 8/10 right as to what PCGS graded the coins. I've heard they pay around $100K. I have not heard of an entry level grading position, but like any company there are surely entry level positions.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12144 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it is true they usually get their graders from people who have built a reputation in the industry already that isn't the only way. There are a couple of things you can do to improve your chances. The first would be they're doing a grading competition at Long Beach, enter that and if you do very well that would be a positive reflection on you they can see. The second would be take the ANA grading courses over the summer. That generally reflects well and can help get a foot in the door with either them or a big company that could then lead to a TPG grading position.

Just be prepared to be grading monster boxes of silver eagles and the like for a while if you get hired and know it'll be a while before you get to grade the expensive stuff. That said best of luck to you and hopefully you can at least get a job somewhere in the company during your trip
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4543 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first would be they're doing a grading competition at Long Beach

I just read that you have to grade 20 coins each in a capsule in 20 minutes. They will be different years and various grades.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12144 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just read that you have to grade 20 coins each in a capsule in 20 minutes. They will be different years and various grades.

They did do everyone a favor as there are no plus grades, fakes, or details grades, but still should be a good challenge. Hopefully they'll post what they were for those of us that cannot attend
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that sounds like an intense competition haha
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05