Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just A Lighthearted Post About Finding Three Tiny Gold Coins!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my favorite find from sorting these coins today!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2405 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1980 P has a nice doubled die obverse.
1982 P small date zinc has a major doubled die reverse.
1983P has a doubled die obverse and a major doubled die reverse.
1983 D and 1984 P have doubled ear type doubled dies.
1983 P&D and 1982 D small date should be zinc but you should weigh them for "copper" (3.1 grams vs 2.5 for zinc).

edit: you can look these up on the following sites.
http://coppercoins.com/advsearch.php
http://doubleddie.com/300201.html
Edited by DrDon
05/14/2019 11:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMom4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a cup full of these tiny coins but most are so bad that any detail can't be seen. Any suggestions on how to clean them up?

I know and one of the videos on YouTube with all of coops information there's a slide that mentions soaking queens like that in olive oil. It's on the community channel on YouTube I don't know which video it is. And please don't go do it until you see the information. Because Lord knows I don't want to give you the wrong information. I know in one of the videos on YouTube with all of coops information there's a slide that mentions soaking queens like that in olive oil. It's on the community channel on YouTube I don't know which video it is. And please don't go do it until you see the information. Because Lord knows I don't want to give you the wrong information

Ps Super jealous of all of that awesome does she get to sort through
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15257 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The tatty looking coin seems to be a Roman Colonial tetradrachm.
Need a picture of the reverse for this coin, plus weight and diameter.
The lighter color on the high points of the design could indicate a billon (high % copper silver alloy) core.

I have never cleaned ancient coins, because there is too much risk for me in doing so. Best left a professional. Even so, the loss from accidental destruction in the cleaning process can be high, if you don't know what you are doing, or haven't got the patience.

"Tiny coins" for the others suggest to me that they may be late Roman bronze coins. Often with these, if they are in poor condition, with implied low value, the effort needed to clean them is not justified.
Edited by sel_69l
05/15/2019 09:19 am
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_691 Thank you fro that eloquent response! I would gladly post the reverse but I put the coin back in the cup with the others and now don't know which one it was! If my brother doesn't want them I would gladly give them to you if this is something you collect. Id rather see them appreciated than in a cup stored away!
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DrDon Thank you! Bookmarked! I will look for those!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2405 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05