Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Master Club Membership Extended Another 6 Months

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2591 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  9:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Received email from the RCM. Master Club membership is extended another 6 months to December 31, 2019.

That means if you have not reach your desired tier, you have 6 months more to do so instead of the June 30, 2019 deadline.

They say it is an one time change to coincide with calendar year, Jan. to Dec.

But maybe it is due poor RCM sales? Perhaps if they don't extend MC membership a lot of customers will fall off MC membership?

Edited by MoneyPenney
05/15/2019 10:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smart move - why not extend it - reward those loyal any way possible
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1194 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does make a bit of sense, in that the m/c year will become the same as the calendar year. I, however, like what I'm reading, have not even come close to my purchases in years past, so it'll not make much difference to me. I too see the writing on the wall - that NCLT's time has come .....and gone. Maybe, if they drop it for a couple of years, our collections may one day appreciate.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doomsday for NCLT not happening.
Valued Member
Canada
295 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doomsday for NCLT not happening.

Depends on your definition of Doomsday. I think that a negative ROI for more than 85% of the items sold is pretty doomsday like. In comparison with other collectibles, NCLT distinguishes itself in a high upfront cost with little or no resale market and a significant drop in cost. Look at the painted plates or silver teaspoons of the '70s and '80. It goes back to the old adage... Anything marketed as collectible usually is not a rare or collectible item. Original series of Star Wars figurines (not my cup of tea) have appreciated fantastically... because they were sold as toys, not collectibles. Today, you can buy special package Star Wars figurines from the last movie that fare as well as modern NCLT.

If this move by the RCM is intended to extend the MC qualification period to confirm the viability of the NCLT market rather than a simple realignment of the calendar then I think that the RCM will inevitably retrench to their staples of SD, Proof Set, Unc/PL Set/Spec Set and a few annual gold issues.

This is not a bad thing. As a tax payer, I want the RCM to be financially solvent; as a collector, I want items I collect to maintain a value close to issue price. I also want NCLT to remain... not at the crazy levels of 2012-2015 but at a level where the market self manages and there is a return to the anticipation for the monthly announcement rather than what I see these days which is a rush to dump on the mediocrity of the offering.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Electrum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RCM needs to end the approach of trying to please every possible collector's niche.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2291 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 6 month extension ties well with my recent conversation with one of their RCM CSRs. Demand is just not there anymore. It seems like Superman will not save the RCM after all. Flippers are gone. Oops.

Only a significant price drop would help. But it's probably too late anyway because fewer and fewer people collect coins.

IMO, 2019 sales must be taking a very serious nose dive. If that's true we could possibly see more layoffs at the mint in the near future.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
548 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMO, 2019 sales must be taking a very serious nose dive.

I don't know, but I wonder every month whether the endless repeating themes and endless re-issues are seriously turning people off. The 2019 NCLT are "more of the same" - certainly nothing interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1194 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see them go back the the Quarterly releases - instead of this insipid monthly offerings of everything from frogs to superman.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6497 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree with this.

But very interesting this:

Quote:
instead of this insipid monthly offerings of everything from frogs to superman.

some other Mints like Perth or Mint of Poland, releasing even more weird themed coins (i would expect to see it in the comics books or some pop-art galleries) and they are very popular.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05