Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Struck-thru Collectors Dream Or Nightmare ? ;)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
647 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering if there's still grease imbedded in this coin. And how can something as extensive as this happen?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
918 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like some kind of sticky residue on the coin, with fibers attached, hot water or acetone would probably clean it right off
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive, are there any fibres protruding from the surface?
Looks like it may have been struck through some steel wool or something similar.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@purelywasted - I could clean it but that would take away all it`s personality right ? I once had a $2.00 S/R test note. Choice UNC but what gave it it`s charm & value was there were fingerprints on it with the ink used, as if someone was inspecting it with the fingertips tainted with inc. Maybe the ink wasn`t quite dry or something. I don`t know what they go for today but I sold it for $850.00 - I got lucky, paid only $4.00 for it.

@Hounddog Bill I don`t have it in hand but I will remove the 2 x 2 and inspect it and give and update on the fibre question. Might try to get some decent close-ups as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, coin in hand... does have several fibres imbedded and several half-imbedded/half out. Not sure how they survived transport and a plastic flip without breaking off.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted Today  16H 59M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EBrown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe something stuck to the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted Today  16H 59M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yuck I'd go with an acetone bath
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Today  11H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@llewellin I touched the residue, it's feels like grease and smudges. I might do the acetone bath after all to at least get rid of the 'Yuck' :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11082 Posts
 Posted Today  10H 24M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tkd, I'm interested in seeing a pic of the coin following its acetone bath. Sorry to be a little negative, but I don't see how this could possibly be a mint error.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Today  9H 23M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence - I'll post more pics after I locate my acetone and give it a dip. My question would be if it's gradable if it is indeed a mint error and would CCCS, NGC, PCGS grade it as such and what would be the attribution or description? Any ideas ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4287 Posts
 Posted Today  8H 13M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look's like something with glue fell on a carpet or something similar , but even if at best this is a strike through with embedded wire, maybe worth 30 to 50 bucks if you can find a buyer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Today  8H 5M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well only paid $8 including shipping but likely wouldn't sell it simply because I have never seen a strike-thru this extensive or even a combo of grease & wire.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100 I never thought of carpet fibres stuck on with something. You could be right, makes alot of sense. I'll keep you posted. I would be disappointed but got it with a few other coins with different errors, none of which are strike-throughs. If not, I'll have to keep a keener eye when I'm buying and chalk it up to learning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4287 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 24M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An error coin has to have the initial wow factor for it to be worth big or reasonable bucks, this coin is nasty looking period, most strike through are almost worthless just due to small demand, unless it's a screw or washer, embedded into the coin then your looking at big bucks. Just keep on hunting, cool stuff appears sometimes at the smallest shows
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35498 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree these are almost surely stuck-on fibers. Let us know!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
647 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 36M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TaeKenDo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, found my acetone, actually a great little tool. A little embarrassed after all the hype, you guys are totally right, cleaned and not one lousy strike through but a very clean coin....lol But I see where I was duped by the photo illusion, I'll more careful in the future. Ho-Hum...

@john100 - Yeah my eyes are always peeled for error coins, I just need to borrow Your glasses.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05