Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Forgeries - Requesting Someone To Shut Seller Down!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This seller listed several high end world crowns... each and every one of them is a forgery, some better executed than others, but a forgery nonetheless.

Bobby/anyone else who has pull with ebay, please shut this guy down.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sato_tokyo...047675.l2562
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2564 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The amount of fake forever stamps on ebay is out of control.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We haven't seem these types in a while... they've been laying a bit low?
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have been taken down (thank you to the mysterious person that made that happen!) and now they are back :(

https://www.ebay.com/sch/japan_999/...l_noapp=true &_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19929 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different seller. Reported. If you want to report these on a regular basis please contact nss-52 to get involved in the correct forum.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry - didn't realize this was a different seller. Same junk coins and same "Japanese" seller.

As for reporting, I'd gladly do so. I will contact nss going forward. Please pardon my ignorance, could you point me in the direction of the correct forum appropriate for this kind of thing?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19929 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nss will hook you up, you likely can't see it right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4850 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize the seller name is different but I would bet a month's salary that this the same person/organization.

These forgery rings operate with dozens to a few hundred names and offer the same fake stuff. When one site goes down another springs up to replace it. Check the photos that Tokyo and Japan used and you will find they are identical coins and usually identical pictures.

There are or were eBay rules that precluded a "single entity" from establishing multiple sales IDs and prohibiting the sharing of photos between seller names. It used to be enforced.

Removing these guys one at a time is a pin prick compared to weekly sales.

The ONLY way to HURT (notice I did not say stop - that is impossible) these people is for an insider at eBay with corporate access to their computer system to trace the money flow associated with these IDs and determine they are flowing to the same point. Then it is easy to confirm the pictures are identical and that items are in fact forgeries and illegal to export to the US. Permanently terminate a few hundred at once and confiscate filling fees and you get their attention.

In 2013 I was part of a team of 8 people that successfully linked just over 200 seller names who used identical pictures to sell blatant forgeries. The linkage was made by tracing the funds via PayPal to ONE location in all 200+ cases. The location coincided with a known manufacturer of fake coins who had a website offering them as "commemoratives" for under $1 each.

The group was making tens of thousands of dollars every week off of unsuspecting fools in the US.

Instead of continuing the process and using our tip of the iceberg process to find more thieves, political pressure caused eBay to cave in and all 8 of us were terminated the next week.

You can remove these guys one at a time forever and they will have more names and never feel the pain financially.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right Bob... our efforts here are almost futile. At most this is an annoyance, akin to a mosquito buzzing in front of your face for 3 seconds before you swat it away.

This is one of countless examples I have seen and continue to see. I bring these up from time to time because the coins being sold here are within my familiarity and I know with a high degree of certainty that they are forgeries. Because I see heavy bid volume, I am hopeful that my postings will save at least 1 person some pain (despite my belief that it is, was, and always will be the buyer's responsibility to know what they are buying!). Perhaps one person that's considering bidding will stumble upon this thread and reconsider their bid and in the process learn a thing or two.

How likely is this to happen? I don't know. I do know that it does happen. I was once such a person not so long ago.

It doesn't matter to ebay if it's fakes that sell... they make a profit just the same. Shame on them of course, but they are a secondary party here. I don't blame ebay, they are a business after all and cannot police the world (nor should they).
Edited by cableguy815
05/21/2019 5:00 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19929 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It doesn't matter to ebay if it's fakes that sell... they make a profit just the same.

That's simply not true. They care a great deal.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are those that do care, care a lot in fact, I do not doubt it. But caring and doing something about it, and I mean REALLY doing something about it, are two different things.

I don't have Bob's insight on what happens on the inside but seeing how rampant forgeries are, I know whatever ebay is doing, isn't enough. What bob is talking about is systematically going after folks that are repeat offenders and shutting them down for good. I'm not sure ebay has to necessarily go that route, they are business, not the FBI, but they can do much more.

The problem is that doing more puts tremendous pressure on profits and ebay, a struggling company whose earnings are constantly scrutinized just can't have material profit swings to "do the right thing". Most of its shareholders don't care about "doing the right thing". They care about a nice return on their investment, period.

This philsophic discussion that can go in circles for a very long time. I personally just , move on, and just accept that this is just the way things are. Sad, but true.

I'll do what I can from time to time but it is kind of like trying to bury sand in the desert...
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19929 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get listings removed in about 5 minutes during weekday business hours. That's all it took for all that seller's listings. I report them and they don't bat an eye.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks bobby. These are tiny victories but thanks for caring and taking the time to get these off.

Here is another one:https://www.ebay.com/sch/luxartukra...047675.l2562

This is a known seller and junk peddler. He ALWAYS sells forgeries, and not good ones. They are ugly casts that are claimed to be "original coins".

Would be great to shut this account down for good.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19929 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Done doing it here, please contact nss if you're interested in continuing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05