Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice From The More Knowledgeable Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jcard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon,

I am happy to find this forum through searching the internet. I am hoping for some genuine advice from the educated coin collectors.

A few months ago my father passed away and while helping mother sort through my Dad's collections we have now run into his coin collection. There are thousands of coins from the late 1800's through the 1980's mostly Canadian, some US, some European and a couple handfuls from other places around the world. Half pennies, pennies, nickels, quarters, half dollars, silver dollars and stuff from the Canadian Mint. Some coins are in cases others in ziplock bags and then bags full of coins.

Where should I start to figure out what's in the collection, potential values, what's worth keeping and what's worth potentially getting appraised?

At this point in time there is no interest in selling any of the collection simply gaining an understanding of what's here.

It seems like a daunting time consuming task. First thought is to sort out denominations and years. Advice would be highly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5579 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry for the loss of your father.

Here is a nice website to get started on Canadian coins:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

Very frequently the "80/20" rule will apply to collections; that is, 80% of the total volume will only be about 20% of the total value. Expect to find a whole lot of coins worth only a few cents to a few dollars, and there may be a handful worth a lot more.

Most likely, your father had an organizational system that made intuitive sense to him - figure out what that is, and sorting through the collection ought to be a breeze.

I would start with the coins in cases first; they are more likely to be the 20% of the collection worth 80% of the value. For the "bags and bags" of coins, he may have been attempting a few sets either from circulation or junk bin finds. Some people also like to stockpile their favorite designs.

If you can take and upload images, we can give some pointers on where to look next.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jcard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply. Today was the first time I really started to look through the collection, I have bookmarked the website you have mentioned, thank you again.

I did start to separate the Canadian silver dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2410 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, separate out the coins in denomination and the years. The CaC link should provide you with enough info, but I would pick up a copy of Charlton annual coin guide or a copy of the Canadian Coin News, a newspaper-like pub every 2 weeks. You should be able to find a copy in a larger book store or large book section in a large mall-type store. It will take a while to sort through it all. For pre-67 circulated stuff, which is silver, use the following rule of thumb. For every face dollar of pre-67 Canadian stuff, the dimes through dollars are .800 silver and $1 dollar's worth is .6 troy oz of silver. With silver at about $15.50 US, every face dollar is worth $9.30 US or $12+ Canadian.
Learn More...
United States
72350 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36808 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck and get back to us with any questions you might have!

to the CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05