Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elimination Of The Cent And Nickel.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm liking the posts. This is a healthy discussion that needs addressed from time to time.

For LLWELLIN, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-n...0017013.html
hope this works until I can find more.
Learn More...
United States
72306 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9752 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh and by the way it is the SALES TAX that gets rounded up or down, and the register tracks and reports how much tax was collected and needs to be remitted to the state, so with the automated rounding the business doesn't make or lose anything.

The sales tax does create fractions of a cent by nature, but pricing in stores in based on the availability of a one cent increment structure. So, if the cent were removed, do you think price tags would change? Keep in mind that not all items are subject to sales tax. In Texas, most food is not taxed. Several states have no sales tax. How then, can a store charge $1.98 for, say, a can of tuna? The price needs to be adjusted and I don't think it's a big mystery which direction the price will be rounded.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
72306 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, if the cent were removed, do you think price tags would change?
I do not think so. Electronic payment would still be to the cent and since that accounts for ~85% of retail transactions I doubt those pricing gimmicks will change.

Did the pricing gimmicks change in Canada? They have been sans cent several years now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15393 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a healthy discussion that needs addressed from time to time.

Problem is it gets addressed about once a month. Sometimes more often.

Quote:
How then, can a store charge $1.98 for, say, a can of tuna?

If food isn't taxed you would pay $2.00, if it is then tax is applied and then rounded (up 2 cents). Where I live sales tax is 7% so it would be $2.12 after tax and rounded to $2.10 (down 2 cents) If you bought two cans of the tuns it would be $3.96 and with no tax it would round down one cent to $3.95 If there is tax then $4.24 and it rounds to 4.25 up one cent.

It IS possible to adjust prices so as to always round up, but ONLY if everyone never buys more than one item at a time. If you buy multiple items or several different items you will be back in the situation where sometimes it will round up, and sometimes round down, Trying to play with your prices to make them always round up will just result in you competitor being able to leave his alone and undercut you and take your customers.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Problem is it gets addressed about once a month. Sometimes more often.

No problem with that . We are always having new members coming aboard that want to talk or ask about that subject .
After all if the U.S. does away with the Cent and Nickel it will effect every coin collector in the country .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
72306 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Trying to play with your prices to make them always round up will just result in you competitor being able to leave his alone and undercut you and take your customers.
Exactly. Take care of your customers or someone else will.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05