Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Antikythera Mechanism: Marble Dust Resin Bonded Bronze Vs Ancient Bronze

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  2:55 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I like the Antikythera Mechanism and thought about having a model for my students so I started searching one to display in my lab. There are pretty bad ones for about $40 then there is a pretty nice bonded bronze with marble dust resin one for about $100 I kind of wanted to buy. So with that said, I thought it would make a nice comparison for us to see a pretty decent attempt to fake ancient bronze (for mass production of course not a one off attempt to copy a highly expensive coin etc) by a pretty high level artist and the original.
Edited by louisvillekyshop
05/25/2019 12:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15781 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After initial reading of this post, I googled
'antikythera mechanism'.
I am glad I did.

I think that this thread would be better titled
'antikythera mechanism' for the readers of this thread, to better appreciate what is being said,
for two reasons:
the reader would be more strongly prompted to consider aspects of faking ancient bronze coins,
and
appreciating what the Antikythera Mechanism is about:-
a truly fascinating piece of ancient analog computer engineering.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  01:19 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69I;

OK I changed the title. Looks like they sell a working replica for like $500 or more, but looks nothing like the original probably but has the same functions. There are photos like this one of better replicas.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05