Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Something Fishy With The "First" W Quarters Found.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But eventually I think there will be albums that have spaces for both the S mint business strikes and the W mint coins.
Probably so for Whitman and Littleton, but I would not hold my breath on Dansco.
Pillar of the Community
United States
803 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the existing book with the proofs included for the S Mints instead, and as far as the Ws, maybe an add on page? They all sell pages without labels to add to the books also
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They all sell pages without labels to add to the books also
This is how I store the most modern coins now (after the original Dansco albums got filled). I put some blank cent, nickel, and dime pages into a plain Dansco binder.

Those pesky 2019-W cents this year? No problem, just slap them right in line.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12759 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's honestly probably better to just have a completely blank album at least that way you can keep things in order when something unexpected comes along
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly. It all started for me with the Westward Journey nickels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to have choices of what and how to collect.

KK
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add montypython to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a fresh take on something ELSE fishy...

PCGS announced the winners of the final Quarter Quest Bounty the other week. I confirmed on the phone with a member of the business development team that the winners were received on Monday before 5:30pm--I had submitted my Day of Release-discovered W as a FedEx First Overnight on Monday (to arrive in CA at 8:30am Tuesday) and was surprised I wasn't contacted as a winner later that week.

Given that you can't Same-Day from the east coast (where the four winners were from) AND given that there were other cases of known Accidental Early Releases, it's impossible that the winning submissions were actually discovered on the official release date of Monday Nov 4th.

The Business Dev rep also mentioned that there were early releases they were contacted about and PCGS told them that only coins received on or after the Nov 4th release date were eligible to win. I pointed out that if the coins were received that Monday, that they had to have been sent the previous weekend--FedEx isn't open on Sundays, so a Saturday was likely the shipment date.

While PCGS has its prerogative to judge its contests however it wants, this is a case of blatant inconsistency--with the San Antonio winner announcement, they SPECIFICALLY describe a winning coin as having to be "found in circulation on or after the official release date."

Prize money aside, these First Discovery coins auction for over $1,000 in MS64. PCGS is in the wrong for awarding that status to coins that should be properly slabbed as "Accidental Early Releases," especially since the judging team knew that there was a potential huge number of AERs.

When I called out the rep--diplomatically, of course--on the phone call for them not checking the shipment dates on the winners, he quickly switched to "patronize" mode and essentially implied that I was a case of sour grapes.

My LCS owner and others in my club who also found out about the controversy sided with me.

So, just a case of actually fishy things being afoot.
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12759 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again nothing fishy at all. They awarded it for the ones they got on the first day like everyone knew they would for a contest they never had to do in the first place
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add montypython to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@basebal21
I respectfully disagree.

The winning coins could not have possibly been found "on or after the official Mint release date" (their own published terms for a winning quarter) because FedEx cannot Same Day from Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, and/or Mississippi. I know this because FedEx told me (here in Utah) that Same-Day was not available to California.

Here's the facts:
- Banks open at 9am Monday Nov 4th.
- According to the PCGS Twitter feed, they had a 2019 W Frank Church in-hand in their system by 11:30 am PST.
- IF one of the winning quarters was found by someone on the official release date and submitted it "on or after the official Mint release date," it had to have been submitted immediately upon being found.
- PCGS Customer Service contacted Shipping Dept for me and told me their daily pickups are at 10am PST and 5:30 pm PST.
- There was a known case of HUNDREDS of Accidental Early Release Quarters in Arkansas, as documented in the official press release article.

Had the winner been from Los Angeles, it could've feasibly been hand-delivered and met all the conditions for a Day of Release find.

However, based on my research, the earliest flight out of Arkansas to LAX is 9:59 am and arrives 4:05 pm in LAX, which would've missed the cutoff for the AM pickup to be in-hand and announced by PCGS at 11:30 PST.

Not even I could make the cutoff if I had pulled one immediately at 9am and flown myself to their shipping address myself, and it's only a 2 hr flight.

There is no possible way for the winners to have found the quarters on Monday the 4th and had them submitted and delivered by the time PCGS publicly announced their first ones were in-hand.

Again, PCGS has the right to set the terms for their contest.

But if they're going to offer special slabs and bounties, in order to maintain the integrity of their labeling system for a prestigious "First Discovery," they have an obligation to be CONSISTENT in the enforcement of their terms for competition.

This is not the case this time.

They allowed themselves to be gamed and shrugged off my criticism to that effect. You'll notice, conveniently, none of the press release bios mentioned WHEN the coins were found by the winners.

PCGS needs to come clean about this SNAFU, for the sake of transparency for other participants, Authorized Dealers, and future buyers of the special issues, many of whom spent significant money to First Overnight their fair-gotten submissions.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12759 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But if they're going to offer special slabs and bounties, in order to maintain the integrity of their labeling system for a prestigious "First Discovery," they have an obligation to be CONSISTENT in the enforcement of their terms for competition.

They have been consistent the whole it. The first ones they get on or after the official release date get it. Anything they get ahead of time which was unexpected the first time it happened gets a different one.

For whatever reason several versions of them gotten into the wild before they were supposed too
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05