Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK 2016/2017 £1 Coin. Rare Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  08:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nonox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice on a coin I found when the new shape £1 came out.

There's a very subtle difference in my coin and I've had a lot of fun asking friend to notice it. I've also checked the coin against the "fake coin" guidelines found on this site and I'm Confident that it is genuine (also I got it when they were first released so I doubt fakes were around at the time)

So the actual difference is that the grooved edges and the smooth edges appear to be opposite from every other coin I've seen. I've checked many over the years and never seen another with this patern. I've attached pictures to show what I mean.

So I'm just wondering what you experts think about this? Is it as rare as I think? Does it add any particular value to the coin or am I just conditioned to see £1 million coin errors tha ks to the tabloids? =D

Thanks in advance!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is just to do with the random orientation of the coins when struck. Keep searching though, and welcome
Edited by Collector28
06/06/2019 09:01 am
Learn More...
United States
78272 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is scarcer but not mega-rare. I saw a discussion on another forum that suggests about 3% are "lefties" to use the term coined for the variety.
Much more info available at:
https://www.checkyourchange.co.uk/t...n-varieties/
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5661 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is scarcer but not mega-rare.

I got about five bags of 2016-dated £1 coins when they first came out and found about 4 like this (out of 80 coins). I haven't found any for any other dates though.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I also checked through mine and found them to be less common. Can someone explain this?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw an explanation on another forum. With these coins the obverse, reverse and edge milling are all put on in a single striking, so the much hyped on the £2 coins "upside down edge" is not possible. So the only way this can happen is if a die has been incorrectly set up in the machine. The Royal Mint wont acknowledge as an error, but I think it must be, and they seem to have fixed the problem as time has gone by. (Around 1 in 20 had this error in 2016, but around 1 in 800 for 2017. Not certain yet if it occurs at all on the 2018 and 2019 coins.)
The link in my post above goes into more detail on this and other errors (real, imagined and manufactured) on these coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still not fully sure I understand...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a follow up, I checked through 25 2016 £1s today and found 3. Not seen a single 2017/2018/2019 one like this though.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05