Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Do If You Found A Previously Undocumented DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
133 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  12:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Grape informed me earlier that I have the only 1976 Kennedy half dollar DDO known in existence. It is in incredible condition too. I would assume it has to be worth a significant price? What would you do?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27632 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First I would post it here on CCF for comments. Then I would send it to someone like Mike Diamond for attribution.Then,if the retail value is $150 or more I would have it slabbed by one of the 3 TPG's.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on what you define as "significant price" really. The vast majority of double dies are worth a small amount in comparison to the more dramatic double dies like the 1955 DDO cent.

A whole lot of minor double dies are $2-$30 values.

First thing would be to get it attributed so that it becomes known to the hobby as existing, with the attribution you can the have it graded and slabbed with what it is on the label, the attribution number.

Grading fees aren't that cheap so most people have an above $100 value cut off, like $150 minimum value to send something for grading or they just dont.
Doesn't make much sense sending in a $5 coin for a $60 grading fee to get the attribution on the slab unless you are doing it for yourself, like if you were the first to find it and it gets attributed and you wanted to spend the money for a trophy for yourself.

Generally speaking error and variety coins are a lot of small little wins and a couple of big wins out there. While some may see a $5-$30 do coin as a "significant value" coin, others may think a $10K coin is "significant value".

Most people hunting DD's aren't doing it for the money, they are doing it to make the discovery or the knowledge to be able to correctly identify them on their attribution number when they find them.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2960 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several undocumented DDO's. One being a 1976 S silver uncirculated dollar which I will eventually will send in. It really depends on the individual and what your plans are with your coin after attribution and a TPG slabbing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05