Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1841 Netherlands 2 1/2 Gulden

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  4:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could someone sensibly tell me what is the deal with this 1841 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden with a SWORD NOT fleur-de-lis privy mark. I've just never heard of this year- 1841- having a SWORD privy mark on this coin.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
28939 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some info,not sure if helpful https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16148.html
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I'm not familiar with this coin, but NGC and Numista have no mention of a sword privy for this date (as you mentioned).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting for sure.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2348 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know this type either, but I see that starting in 1846 there was a minor re-design of the obverse with the king's ear set higher, and the sword privy replacing the fleur de https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1461690. Comparing your coin to this pre-1846 example https://www.coinarchives.com/d8bf2e...age37302.jpg the ear is indeed set higher on your coin (you can see this by placing a ruler across the obverse image along a line from the top of II at 9:00, across the tip of the nose, to the the top of letter N at about 2:30. On your coin, a bit of the ear is above this line, but not on the 1845 I've posted.)

Might it be the later type with an altered date? Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this type will come along and comment.

Edited by tdziemia
06/12/2019 09:05 am
Australia
13 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frank wasson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your helpful comments. This is a coin I was thinking of buying on eBay (see http://goccf.com/t/349055). I spoke with someone about this coin last night, and they conveyed to me that it is a complete fantasy. If, for instance, you look closely at the loins tail and head you can see the colour of probably copper (copper substrate) coming through.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05