Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 New Pence 2 Coin Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  11:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2p.
In fact the copper content makes it worth nearer 3p, but fairly certain you're not allowed to melt them down to realise this huge fortune.

It's 1983 the rare "NEW PENCE" date.

Anyway,
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5656 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

According to The Royal Mint website, 1,454,856,250 were struck as they were required to replace the old pre-decimal 3d and 6d coins - indeed, none were issued again for circulation until 1975! 1971 2p coins are still extremely common in circulation in the UK. I live near the seaside and see hundreds of them in the 'pusher' machines in the amusement arcades. In fact I think 1971 is still the most common of all the 2p coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Face value. 2p.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I agree with the others. This is not worth much at all.

However, you now have an example of one of the two oldest UK coins still in circulation. The other is the 1971 1p, so it has ( minor ) historical value.

Welcome to the forum.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i get annoy at people who claim their 2 "new pence" is worth hundreds of dollar and cite a article on the web, I tell them that not the coin that worth , YOUR COIN IS NOT A MULE/ERROR, they dont even bother with reading the article that they cite.

Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
New Zealand
27 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common coin, poor condition (F - VF) nothing special - 2p.
Even a proof set coin is only worth maybe 10 - 20p.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
293 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  03:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And it's not very often you see verdigris on a decimal!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i get annoy at people who claim their 2 "new pence" is worth hundreds of dollar and cite a article on the web, I tell them that not the coin that worth , YOUR COIN IS NOT A MULE/ERROR, they dont even bother with reading the article that they cite.

What people need to consider is that if this really was some extremely rare coin, how likely is it that it would have just so happened to have slipped through the fingers of everyone who had owned it for the past 48 years without somebody noticing it? It's not impossible that it could have, but it's very unlikely to the point that it ought to make one think twice.
Edited by Collector28
06/14/2019 04:52 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05