Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian, Roman, Barbaric Imitation, Provincial Or ? Horrible Condition Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  2:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a lot of twenty unidentified ancient and medieval coins from India. In it was this little coin. It doesn't look ANYTHING like the other coins that it was in with. They are all thick coins with Indian style script writing on them. This coins is very thin and has writing on it that I recognize from some of the Roman coins that I own.

This coin has not aged well at all. It has a lot of damage on it and has been seriously over cleaned to the point there is no patina of any sort.

On what I am assuming is the obverse is what appears to be the remnants of a right facing portrait. The obverse legend that think I can make out is:

IMP T [the next letter is an C, O, E or something]

There are remnants of a couple of other letters, but I just cannot make them out.

The reverse is like none I have ever seen before. It looks like six angled lines. There is remnants of the same design going the opposite direction, but that is all I can make out. I am not even sure of the correct orientation.

This little coin measures approximately 12.7mm. I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it. I am sorry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Learn More...
United States
22419 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much to go by, my best guess a Roman barbaric imitation.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barbaric was my first guess. Do you have any idea as to what the back is supposed to be an imitation of? The only reverses that I am familiar with that resembles anything like this are off of Judean coins (like those of Porcius Festus).
Learn More...
United States
22419 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry no idea.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry no idea.

Hey, that is fine. I have a lifetime to figure it out. I appreciate your time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minima of Caesarea Maritima? The tiny size and the palm seem to fit. Obverses include grape leaf, amphora and others.
https://cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=65854
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/zu...Default.aspx
Edited by Kushanshah
06/15/2019 8:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minima of Caesarea Maritima? The tiny size and the palm seem to fit. Obverses include grape leaf, amphora and others

This looks like a great lead! Thank you. I am so grateful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a photo of the lot as a whole or a link to the original lot online?
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have a photo of the lot as a whole or a link to the original lot online?

I will get you a photo of the lot tomorrow. My camera battery is on the charger right now.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the images of the whole group. These coins were inexpensive and it is a new are of collecting for me. I am really curious about the top and bottom left coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
686 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it's a bit like looking for pictures in the clouds. I wanted to see the op coin in the context of the group from whence it came. Everything else is Indian(-ish), which makes it likely that the op coin is as well. If some of the coins turn out to cluster around one region, that would be your best clue to identify the others.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Kushanshah for the information. I have a lot of research to do on this lot. I am getting there though. As I get these coins identified, they will be plotted on a map in an attempt to get more information. Thank you once again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05