Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Coin Or Fake - Perhaps Scottish?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bluenose1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

First post. I don't collect coins but have had an old coin for a while and don't know what it is...It is quite thin so figured it may not even be a coin but some kind of token or piece of junk.

Any ideas? Was just about to bin it but thought I'd ask!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bn1, first welcome to CCF. Second, while your pics are a bit out of focus, I can see enough to think that the overall design elements (raven and short cross) are suggestive of a silver penny from York dating to the 10th century. With that said, these are prohibitively rare, so this is almost certainly a modern fantasy reproduction. Here is a recent Myntauktioner catalog showing a real example of this coin (lot #107):

http://www.coinauctions.se/wp-conte...Misab-32.pdf

Their description is:

Quote:
Olaf Guthfrithsson (939-941). YORK. Penny. Raven. ANLAF CVNVNC )( Small cross.
ADELFERD MINETL. Seaby 1019. North 537; SCBI Mack 695. 1,03 g.
Ex Spink Coin auction 20, No 56.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
06/16/2019 4:17 pm
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bluenose1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for replying. I have tried to take some better pictures (see below). Considering how rare it is...I'd imagine it is fake! Before chucking it away I'd like to make sure though. Not sure who can verify these things?

Can't believe I thought it was a thistle...it is clearly a raven haha. Thanks for the brochure. Looks very similar to some on there.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, better pics--best would be straight on shots though. In any case, a good first step would be to weigh it. If it isn't very close to 1 g, then you can dismiss it right away. If it is attracted to a magnet, then you can also know for sure that it isn't real. The diameter would be useful for comparison too.

I'm not an expert on these things, but the circles on either side of the inscriptions look more crisp than I would expect. A close-up pic of the edge would be helpful. Yours looks slightly reeded--is that true?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5483 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks to me like one of the reproduction hammered coins that are struck on base metal blanks at Jorvik and other historic attractions.
Edited by NumisRob
06/17/2019 1:22 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13135 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

It is, as you would expect, a modern reproduction. The Jorvik Viking Centre in York at one stage made and sold replica Viking pennies similar to this, though I do not know if yours is from there.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really good point @nr and @sap about this coming from Jorvik. Most of their repros we see here on CCF seem to feature the short sword rather than the raven, but I bet that you guys are right about this one coming from there too.

For reference:
http://goccf.com/t/134071
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
76009 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10102 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05