Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vandals Coin 5mm And 4.98 Grams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

I have made several posts on my affinity for mining uncleaned small very late Roman AE4s smaller than 12mm. I wish I had kept the hundreds of these I chucked back 20 years ago when you could purchase 1000 uncleaned and unsearched ancients in good condition for $100 or less! I sold and traded them for cents.

In the last 8 years or so I have cleaned and attributed coins of the harder to find coins of Eugenius, Priscus Attalus, Johannes, Marcian, Leo I, Verina, Majorian, Zeno, Basiliscus, Zenonis, and Julius Nepos mining late Roman Krap coins. Don't chuck those small AE4s you get in junk lots! Barbarous very late Romans are rare, newly fashionable, and valuable!

Back on track. The coin I just cleaned was struck by the Vandals in the name of Anastasius by the Vandals at Carthage. Super small bronze coins were struck at Carthage by the Vandals for many years. Finding one with any identity is rare because of their size. OK. A bronze coin that is about 5-7mm is lost- 1500 years later how much of that coin remains? And after the Anastasius Byzantine coinage reform- what happens to these super small bronzes- Chuck!

How much is a super rare micro Carthage coin worth? Not much. I have about 35 of these. Why no value? No collectors and not much research. Can you imagine an economy where a coin of this size would actually purchase anything?

It would be nice if some of you on this board would add to this discussion. If not- no interest- maybe these type coins will be worth a lot later-?

Pics a bit blurry- too small to focus

Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find your coin an interesting piece of history. I don't have an example in my collection. I'd give ya a few bucks for one.
Learn More...
United States
22571 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! tiny coin and heavy for it's size.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13138 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pendrak those are interesting pieces. It is a little odd how thick they are compared to their tiny diameter.

By the way, you are more than half way to the required minimum number of posts to be able to sell on CCF:

http://goccf.com/t/221419

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5697 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know it's actually a Vandal imitation and not just an imported coin?

About a year ago I bought from CNG what appeared to be part of a Vandal hoard of these AE4s. 50 ish coins, all the same patina, mostly matching up with what the Vandals probably would have used in the early 6th century - lots of Theodosius II, Marcian, Leo, Vandal civic issues; even a Greek AE9 and a barbarous radiate. And there was one of these too

Was it minted locally, or imported? Heck if I know - I have yet to see any convincing arguments one way or another.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the late Roman and "Vandal" coinage. Even more amazing is a readable monogram on a 5mm. diameter coin. I have a couple of Anastasius' nummi - 8.5mm. and 9mm. in diameter with monograms, and they are almost at the limit of what I can see and clean properly. The dearth of modern Vandal references is a bummer, I still have to use the British Museum Catalog (BMC) volume on the Vandals, etc.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correction guys- the weight is 0.498 grams not 4.98 grams! LOL!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05