Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Is Better For Coin Photography? A Microscope Or A Dslr?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  8:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am at a point now where I want to catalog my coins and also have the ability to take photos when I want to sell on ebay, etc. I have been searching and mostly finding elaborate copy stand setups with multiple lights and usually either a light tent or an axial setup using glass at an angle, etc. I guess there is more than one way to photograph coins.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest setup but I am looking for the best setup for my dollar. I watched a youtube video recently of someone using an AmScope and a USB camera and thought that was pretty slick but it does seem that the angle shots could be limiting. What was appealing about the microscope is that it is more compact and doesn't require a lot more equipment. Now I do have a Canon dslr and a macro lens so I wouldn't need to buy much. Maybe a remote method to shoot photos. I don't know. I'm a little undecided on the best method and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3091 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you already have the DSLR and macro lens, I'd suggest just getting a copy stand. Which Canon DSLR do you have? Most are capable of tethering, so you can control the camera right from your computer.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Canon 5D Mark IV with a couple different macro lenses. Not sure if they would work for full slabs though. What I would really like is a copy stand for sure. I'm seriously considering something like this one

http://goccf.com/t/341372

I could use some help though in configuring a way to take shots remotely, wired or wireless. I've never used this.
Edited by johnstac
06/26/2019 12:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3091 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remote tethering is really easy with your 5Dm4. The camera should have come with a CD Rom with the required software. Hopefully you are using a Windows system as some Mac systems are not well supported. If you don't have the disk, you can download the software from Canon. You need the EOS Utility software, which is the actual tethering controller and allows you to view the coin in Live View on your monitor, adjust parameters, and snap the shot. If you also download Digital Photo Professional, you can have the image download automatically to the computer and open up in DPP for viewing and editing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray,
You mention "some Mac systems are not well supported." What Mac systems are you referring to?
Thanks, Hamm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3091 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had several folks who were unable to use EOS Utility with Mojave OS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No issues with High Sierra OS?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05