Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In A Bank Tellers World

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  11:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin community,
Does this happen to anyone else. It's like every bank I go into and exchange my pennies these tellers act like it is such a big deal like OMG you have to turn walk three steps then walk back to the counter and forget about asking for funny money geeze oh man you see the steam from their ears. As a matter of fact I can no longer do it at three banks because they straight up told me they will no longer exchange anything.. I just feel like it's your job is it that big of a deal this world we live in some days idk what to think ..

Rant over
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said. I only go in to exchange when they aren't busy and they still act like it's a big deal. What else do they have to do?!?! It's all currency and depositing or exchanging currency in any form is what banks are for! I get so frustrated with them too
Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking about turning in rolled coins for the equal amount of cash, I can understand your complaint.
HOWEVER, if you are going in with a $25 box of rolled one cent coins and asking for another box I can fully understand their point.
Look at it from the perspective of the teller. They do not care whether a coin is a Wheat cent, A Memorial cent or a Shield cent. They are all cents and worth 1 cent each. For you to go in and ask for $25 worth of different one cent coins, I can fully see the concern. They have to check your rolls, and at least be relatively sure all are as you say they are. They probably get all kinds of complaints about short rolls of cents, bogus items taking up space in the rolls etc. Those rolls will always come from the guy that walks in off the street with a bunch of rolls of coins. They don't have time to check them as you bring them in.

Dan
Edited by Panther
06/28/2019 1:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if I understand the rant. how much are we talking about and are you depositing them or asking for cash in return or are you trying to trade pennies for pennies or something?

Look, going to be honest with you, they KNOW about roll hunters and you are work for them with no reward for them, this is why people say, "don't dump where you get from"

A teller doesn't want you to pick up $25 in pennies and then a day later show back up with the pennies, looking to exchange them for more to go through, their change services are primarily for business customers where they will never see the rolled coins again from.

I get from my bank, I dump at my credit union, either getting cash or putting it to my account. the bank I get from never has to see the coins again (and neither do I after I've searched them) and has no idea what I do with them just that I need them. My credit union gets my dumps they don't care, they have a counting machine in the lobby. while I dump there, I always ask for the halfs and dollar coins people turn in, because the tellers hate them, I take them to go through and I dump the returns at a coinstar so neither bank or credit union has to deal with them again, so the tellers are happy someone is taking the odd coins they can't get rid of off their hands. On both sides they are generally pleasant. I do have to be nice, and I do on occasion bring them snacks or something on a holiday just to keep things cool. in either case If I start upsetting people and making their life difficult, they will make my life difficult in return.

If I dumped $500 in quarters at the credit union then asked for $500 in quarters they would quickly realize they are just giving me quarters to make more work for them, and I'm not actually doing any business with them and they will do whatever they can to put a stop to it.

I think this "exchange" is the problem here, you hit the same place on both sides and they are taking notice that you are only creating work for them, and not business for the bank. you quickly get a reputation as "the problem customer that takes and returns and tries to take again" instead of "the box of pennies guy" or the "always deposits $500 in quarters on fridays guy"

Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I AM talking 10 rolls of Penny's at the most and swapping them for new ones.. it literally takes 2 min.
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ramjethero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jatour, I am in a small town so I have 2 bank accounts. One is checking and savings the other is a saving account only. I generally get my coins from the bank I have a saving account only. I usually return them to the other bank, sometimes depositing in my account and sometime cash. The tellers know me and that I am a collector. I only have 1 teller that is an old grump. She would complain if I told her to keep the $25 for herself. There have always been people who complain and want a pay check for doing nothing, but it seems to happen more now than in years past. I have been around a long time and collected a long time so yes it does happen more now than in the past.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup... that is the ticket.

Do not pick up and drop off at the same bank. It is less for them to complain about.
Fortunately for me, my drop bank still has a coin machine.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely wouldn't return pennies from same bank I got them from. I personally am okey paying 9% for coin machine at Publix.

Cheers
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2720 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I AM talking 10 rolls of Penny's at the most and swapping them for new ones.. it literally takes 2 min.

It is not the amount of rolls, it is the fact that you are just exchanging rolls. And it does cost the bank money to order rolls, the service is not free.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2620 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My town has three banks, one has two branches, so just four bank buildings.I bank at the one with two branches. They have no problem with me trading roll for roll. If they have more rolls than I do I purchase the rest.Some times the drive through branch will but all I have.
One of the other banks will give me roll if they have any to spare. The third bank acted like I was nuts the first time I tried to get coins there so I never went back.
My pet peeve is when out of town banks ask if you have an account even after you state up front that you from another state.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just feel like it's your job is it that big of a deal this world we live in some days idk what to think ..

No, it's NOT their job.
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bank teller would feel joy if they never had to do "business" with most of you ever again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's 2019...banks do not want to pay employees to deal with coin or currency. Enjoy it while it lasts.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3178 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank solved the problem a long time ago . They charge a service fee for rolls .....period.
As a shareholder I applaud their move!
Coin roll hunters are a real pain to financial institutions . All take and no give !
Roll hunters should visit the Local LCS once in awhile and look through the 1 and 2
Dollar junk boxes , far more effective and rewarding in the long run.
Never know a few might even turn into real numismatists!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Pacificoin - rollhunters, all take and no give? How about the bank's less than one percent return on savings accounts, yet collecting 27% or more on loans? How about maintenance fees, minimum deposit fees, general fractional banking practices and all else? That's just too funny. The banks can afford to service roll hunters for free, wouldn't hurt 'em one bit. Just pure greed on their part.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've related the story several times, in which the bank gave me $50 to open a no fee savings account, in six months time they took my $50 and left me with a $0 balance. It's the reason I went with credit unions, I'm now part owner.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05