Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mysterious 1895 Sovereign?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  09:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Erictheking7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm struggling to work out the history and possible value of this coin and if it has been minted in error, or is an elaborate fake.

It's an 1895 full gold sovereign with a Melbourne Mint mark. It has the Queen Victoria Jubilee head on it which ended, to my knowledge, in 1893. Did the Melbourne Mint produce the coin for a couple of extra years?

The coin measurements are all correct and it weighs in at 7.90 grammes. A little light but feasible?
An antique dealer friend had the coin tested and it comes in at 22.04 carat gold. He showed it to a number of dealers and they all said they would have no hesitation in buying it.

I would like to hear the thoughts of more knowledgeable collectors than myself as I am truly baffled.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
232 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert on Sovereigns either, but there have been a number of previous posts on this and other forums about similar wrong-bust Victorian sovereigns. The conclusion is always that they are not genuine - either being ascribed as "Jeweller's copies" or "Beirut copies".
The former are usually lower grade Gold and rather crudely executed - they were intended for making cheap Sovereign rings and pendants, not to deceive.
The latter were created in the 1950s I believe, when there were no Sovereigns being minted in the UK to satisfy the demand for bullion coinage. The grade of gold is usually higher, though not always spot on, and the execution reasonable, but the makers clearly did not know which busts were correct with which date, and so anomalies occur. So my vote would be "Beirut copy" and worth the Gold value.
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42269 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't this the Jubilee Head, which as I recall was last used in 1893?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
53 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog is correct. I'm going with elaborate fake here, too.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erictheking7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jbuck
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erictheking7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Coinfrog is correct and it is something I was aware of when buying the coin. I bought it for bullion value so wouldn't really be out of pocket but I was hopeful that it could be a rare "error" coin rather than a fake.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05